1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Donaldson Air Filter Upgrade

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, May 31, 2008.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Tired of busting the rain helmet assembly off of your air cannister?
    Tired of spending your hard earned cash replacing something that is going to break again?
    Here's a great tip.
    Take a look at the picture. Run to your nearest hardware store. And in the plumbing aisle, you will find these components. A one and a half inch 90 degree fitting. A street elbow. And a rubber connector with dual clamps.
    And bam, for $6.50, you have created a very flexible, yet highly breathable air intake which does not let any water into the system.
    I have never seen this posted before, although I don't get on here much to read.

2. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't broken mine, but that is a cool idea to replace it. I might would cover the end with some kind of screen to keep leaves and grass from getting sucked up in there.
  3. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

My Dixies have a Turbinator that I would never think of removing. I have never broken one. I would be concerned about the amount of dust that thing is going to suck in, A for effort though.
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

There is no air difference between the old system and this system. This is just a modification that won't bust. If you are going to take both systems, the factory one and my new improved version into the same dusty environment, my reckoning is they would both perform the same and take in the same amount of dust. It's been on now for about 120 hours, and I blew my filter out once, and there has been nothing out of the ordinary.
    Use it if you like, discard it if you want.
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe I'm way off, but that "rain cap" as you call it is a lot more than just that. It removes the large particles from the air before it enters the filter area, it's the main component to the whole air cleaner. I have a smaller machine with out one, and the larger machine has it, the difference in how much dirt is in the filter each time I check is unbelieavable. The small unit w/o the "cap" is constantly plugged with all kinds of dirt and debris, yet the bigger machine, with the cap, that sees a LOT more run time per week is over 400 hours on the ORIGINAL paper filter.

Not saying that what you have attached won't work, it just will allow a lot more debris into the filter. I have never broken one of the caps off before, though I have one on a Walker that's metal, a different brand, that's fallen apart and is getting replaced with a new plastic one monday.
  6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Walkbehinds with that kind of filter are the most at risk for breaking. That's a novel idea you have. Maybe some sort of prefilter can be fabbed to handle the larger particles? Tony
  7. zimmatic

zimmatic LawnSite Senior Member

I worked for a farmer that ran a 400hp silage copper and had a huge air filter for the cat engine. The owners manual said NOT to blow out the filter, and just empty the "dust cap" once a day. How where you supposed to know the filter was cloged? When the engine is at idle and the filter air restritcion monitor (on side of filter assembly) is near the red zone, or when the light in the cab comes on. I didnt belive it when the farmer told me about this but I read the owners manual and yep that what they reccomend.
    So what does this have to do with lawn mowers. If a silage copper can suck in dirty air and debri through a filter system, I dont think a littl grass/debri getting sucked into a lawn mower filter system is going to hurt. PLus it is a donadlson filter system one of the best in the world.
  8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I've never really looked at mine but, I got to see 2 yesterday at a friends house. One was missing the top cap piece and the other was a replacement part. There's nothing in there to stop large particles except maybe a 3-4 ounce stone! The underside of it has plastic webbing designed to stop something like large grass blades but other than that, I think it's useless for stopping larger dust particles. That's what the large prefilter is for. I think the cap is something like $18 at J-Thomas. Tony
  9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Our Cub Tank had the donaldson filter and I used it 2 1/2 years and never broke it off?