Donaldson Dusty Filter Argument

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by puppypaws, Oct 2, 2007.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

We had a little discussion on Donaldson air filters a while back and I made the statement that once a filter gets a light coat of dust over it the filter performed more efficiently. There was a good bit of controversy over this subject (which I personally like, this is the way you learn) and a number of people argued that a brand new clean filter had to be better than one coated with dust.

Well here it is boy's, read it for yourselves!

http://www.filterminder.com/oem/mythvsfact.asp

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Brand new filters DO NOT filter better. I forget what the actual percentage is but something crazy like 35-40 LESS effecient!

3. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

I thought the argument was settled, when someone claimed they talked to a factory rep and the rep explained to them that their filters were more efficient once dirt particles stacked up like marbles and provided better filtration.

In other words, one person called it "dirt particles stacking like marbles" and another person called it "clogging" to the point of design efficiency. They both mean the exact same thing. Someone just said it using different words and that was apparently more acceptable to others.

4. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

This is actually comical to read that article to me. I understand the logic but it seems like an oxy-moron. What I get out of this is ...say a filter is rated to last 100 hrs. I guess it will if you never use it. So the dirtier it gets the longer it lasts. LOL

5. puppypaws

That is where you are wrong, there is no rating for how long a filter should last. What you read in your operators manuals is an opinion of the machine manufacture and that is not correct based on all air filter technology. Your filter needs to be changed when the air flow is restricted to a specified point.

Donaldson has forgotten more about air filters in the past 100 years than a engine manufacture would ever know.

6. puppypaws

7. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok I concede that a filter will stop more dirt as it gets dirtier. But engine will run more efficient with a clean filter than one with any blockage.

8. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Thanks for posting this link :drinkup: But telling the guy that just dosen't know or care to under stand has made me blue in the face. So when some one wants a new filter, I sell them one, where they need it or not.

ericg likes this.
  9. puppypaws

Jesus Christ could not change a big percentage of the world so I don't figure you and I will make but very little; if any difference.

It is always good to have discussions, I personally have learned a lot from different opinions on this site.

10. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

If the quarter back throws the ball and a receiver catches it in the endzone, thats a touchdown.