1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Donaldson vs. Enginaire

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I would like to invest in one of these filter systems for my 25hp Kohler on my Lazer Z.. Does it matter which? Are they basically the same? Do they use the same filter? How about price-wise? I think I remember my dealer saying the Donaldson would be a little over $200.. How much is the Enginaire? Are they easy to install?
  2. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have an Enginaire on a Scag STHM w 22 Kohler. They send you

a complete kit. Cost $ 180 Put on April 2001 changed the element

in Dec. Seemed to keep the lube oil cleaner also. Also put on a

larger muffler. Seems to put out more HP.
  3. wattsup

wattsup LawnSite Member

Where can I find information on these products? I would like to purchase one also.
  4. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Check with your exmark dealer. I thought all exmark lazers came with the donaldson filters, or at least they do here in Evansville IN. Edward did you have much trouble installing yours? Ive got the donaldson on my Toro Z Master but it came with the machine,that and the delux seat. Marks Mowing Service
  5. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Info at enginaire.com buy direct. About 20 min to install. They send a bigger intake manifold. Take old one off put new on with filter supplied put cover on. readyto GO.
  6. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

For what it's worth, the genuine heavy duty air filter from Kohler (Donaldson) is EPA approved to be on the Kohler engine. I have contacted the engine air people and they have not invested the money into certifying their product. The nice thing is that the EPA is not out enforcing what changes have been made to lawn mower engines. But also, the first shop that was fined $10,000 for removing the catalytic convertors on cars in the early 70's thought the same way. Just my 2 cents worth.
  7. wattsup

wattsup LawnSite Member

I found enginaire, but no luck finding Donaldson. I would greatly appreciate some help. Thanks in advance.
  8. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

After going to Expo last july I replaced the old remote dust bowl on my gas kubota powered walker ghs with the new enginaire precleaner. Here in Missouri we have a lot of leaves and debris to clean up in the fall, which results in very dusty conditions. Since switching to the enginaire precleaner, I couldn't believe how inferior the old setup was. I recently just changed the air filter for the first time since installing the precleaner, the filter looks like one thats maybe a month old, usually after 4 months (which included leaf season) they are ready for the dumpster and not a moment too soon. Hard to really compare anything to the enginaire.