Donating to V.F.W.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sikagrass, Feb 1, 2007.

1. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

I contacted my local V.F.W. and talked to their quartermaster . What I want to do is maintain a disabled vets yard for a year , based on need.Has anybody ever done something like this before and have any pointers?I have yards spread over 5 small towns so its sure to be on one of my routes, we cut every two weeks on the average yard.First cut would be around March 1st and last would be end of november.
    What Im trying to get at is a written proposal with limits on lot size,(yard not estate!) and the work performed that I can send to their post as they are having a meeting soon.Also there is a broad meaning to the word disabled,I want to find some guy who really needs the help.Any ideas?
  2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I really respect you for wanting to do this. I am a veteran of the Iraqi War. I know people who served in Vietnam and WWII who cant walk or see. I actually cut a few yards like that. The Local V.F.W.s actually awarded a contract to me to clean up the properties their meeting halls are on. I cut the veterans yards for free. Good luck!
  3. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

Just be specific in what you deem 'disabled' and limit to size preferred. They will understand and be fair I'm sure.

We have a 'free clinic' here that serves only the working population without insurance. Mainly smalltime illness and baby immunizations.

Anyway, we maintain their property for free.....due to that, we've picked up several new customers that are doctors/nurses that also donate their time to the free clinic.

One good deed deserves another.

You are to be commended.
  4. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

I mowed one of my regular years last year and the niebor had all of a suden stop mowing. So I went to the door and this nice lady came to the door I ofered my service. She told me her husbaun was off to War and her mower wont start. I want to do something so i ofered to mow here yard Free and fix her mower. Not a big deal for me, but the yard was a mes and it took about $40 in parts to get her old mower going. When I took it back to her she wanted to pay me but she siad I would have to wate. I said no its my way of saying thanks.

I talked to my accountent and asked if I could declare this as a donation. He did not think so beacuse there is realy no one autheized to sigh it as a "Non-profet donation"
    But if you get the VFW to qualify a person like this and they could give you a recieat for your donation, that might work. The laws regarding any donation has really tightend up in the last few years.

Ok I know I should not even be conserned about a tax right off/deduction when Im supose to be doing charitable work. But after thinking about the liablity that I am puting myself in I think its only smart to investige a legal documentaion so this could be a win win issue. If you involve the VFW it's a great idea, for them and for you. I think the VFW could give you a recieat for your donation and the IRS not get there shorts in a bind. But I or the lady reciving my free service signed anything conserning a donation I think it would cause a red flag for me at tax time. It should work but not in todays world.

Just my .02 and experence.
  5. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

To tell the truth I never thought of it being tax deductable although why shouldnt it? I just wanted to do something for the vets.
    Its a good thing you guys are doing and I feel better about this already.Maybe I can go meet this guy face to face and iron things out to where we are on the same page.Its the vets who let us live the life we do.