Donations please.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1BadHawk, Mar 6, 2005.

1. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

While running errands to today I was thinking about what I wanted to do get ready for the season, when, how, where to advertise. Who to target, and such. How to make the $$$, you know. When I thought about donations.

Check this out.

My daughter plays softball local, and like many places they setup car washes. In a single day they bring in anywhere from 800 to 1500, in donations. Very minimal overhead, huge profit. I think im in the wrong business.
  2. LawnsByJon

LawnsByJon LawnSite Member

Since we're on the subject of advertising (I think) How about sponsoring one of those softball teams, generally, for a price, you get your name on all their jerseys and stuff...
  3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

And you get to pay for all that "free" stuff as well. Then, they forget they have other means of fund raising, and call you to open the check book every time someone needs a new glove or bat or........
  4. impactlandscaping

I had another thought along the lines of this thread..What if you went to your client's homes and told them you'd cut the lawn,etc., and they could pay whatever they feel it's worth?? LOL...Lawncare by'd be outta biz before lunch... :D
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I no longer donate to sports teams. I had some bad experience with volleyball, softball, and basketball sponsership. A lot of promises were made to me, but never kept
  6. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

I wasnt so much leaning towards the advertisement aspect of softball. Just the fact, that a single car wash can bring in a lot of money in a single day with very little expense.

However, since your on your high wagon about the inconvenience of being burdened every time a player needs a new glove or bat as you say. Ill let you in on a little secret. First of all, most of these players are more committed to their sport then you are to your business. They practice 2 sometimes 3 times a week, for 3 - 5 hours at a time. Not to mention their personal off time training, hundreds even thousands of dollars in one on one lessons at local sports shops. On top of the personal commitment and scrifice a teenager has to make in order to stay competative in the sport comes the expenses. Practice year round, tournaments 3 out of 4 weeke ends a month during the main season , and again during "Fall Ball" season. A bat costs anywhere from 200 to 500 bucks, and no a K-Mart special 39.99 bat is not the same. Matter of fact, ill bet you didnt know that these bats are not even suppose to be stored or used in cold temps ie: 60deg or below. Any yes these bats have to be replaced once a year, sometimes twice a year. These are professional, ASA certified bats. Glove, well anywhere, from 50 to 200. Uniforms, shurely they dont just find them lying on the ground. At 220 bucks your kid too can buy two sets of uniforms, sweat pants, and a viser/hat. Now of course, we'll need something carry all this stuff in like a bag at 75 bucks.

So lets see..... Bat 250, Glove 100, Uniforms 200, Bag 75 = 550 (not bad)

but wait theirs more....

Now that your equiped to play where you gonna play at? Well, you have to sign up for tournaments. 3 per month from May - July, with the FINALS at the nd of July. And no, these tournaments arent held down the block. Hence the name, Travel Teams. Sure most of the tournament can be within driving distance, anywhere from 1 hrs to 4hrs, Saturday and Sunday. In some cases overnight stays are necessary, hence another 100 bucks for hotel. So at 300 - 500 bucks per team per tournament the expense adds up quickly. The FINALS are another story. Normaly held some distance away, this year in Florida, Last Year in Ohio, who knows next year. But now your talking airfair, or caravan driving, hotel, food, and other expenses for a week long tournament, on top of the tournament entry fee.

So in a nut shell, its not a matter of "some girl needs another glove or bat"

Sorry this became so long, it urks me when people jump to conclusions without knowing the facts, and unfortunately it only makes them look like the jack.
  7. impactlandscaping

Didn't mean to pizz in your Cheerios, dude. I'm talking local softball teams, not AAA hopefuls with Pro aspirations. The most work I have seen many of the local guys do is carry their beer coolers from their trucks to the dugouts.Lighten up....
  8. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Sooo are you thinking of holding a Saturday car wash to raise money for your business? This is a great idea, if you have the guts to try it --- $1500 would buy a lot of trimmers, blowers and misc.