Done winterizing. Now what?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Nov 18, 2003.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Well now that blowouts are done I need to find something to do. Parttime, needs to be somewhat flexible. The guys I normally do some interior trim carpentry work with during the winter don't have enough work right now for me. Was thing about trying at UPS or FedEx for seasonal work through the end of the year.

What do you irrigation guys do (besides plow snow) during the winter? I know some areas can continue working, but the colder climate companies tend to have some off time. I know greenworld plows snow, but anything else? Sprinklerguy gets to runs his AZ business from CO. Maybe I'll sit around and get fat and jolly for the holidays. Hey maybe I can be a Santa for the holidays!

2. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

well, i will let y'all in on my secret...

i am developing a program to keep all labor paid through the winter with out having to get tedious jobs.

you see, john allin (snow management group) has a 3% rule. the rule is that he takes 3% from every job and puts that money in a separate account. he uses this money for equipment purchases, retirement...what ever.

well i am going to use this money to pay the labor during the down season. it won't be a lot but it will be something. coupled with the snow removal business, we should be all right.

this is just one example. some other contractors do handyman work...seems there is a demand for this type of work in my area.

what do the rest of ya do to make $$$ during your slow time?

3. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

Buy a ski pass to copper mountain.......:)

4. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

buy a ticket to NC and grab a feshing rod and start catching some striped bass from the surf... I have asked some customers to let me do there work during the winter. I the mean time I will be thinking bout 1 thing loading the camper up and driving 5.5 hrs east. And soaking some bait in the cool altanic ocean waiting fer that 30lb fesh to bite my circle hook.

5. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

I did just that Ground Master, a four day pass for 89 dollars that I'm using Jan 5th through the 9th. Can't wait!

6. Rotor-Man

Rotor-Man LawnSite Member

Just out of curiousity it seems you all do repair work in Colorado Springs area, do who ever run into each other, or is it that big of a market with that much repair work to be done during the season?

7. There are 2 of them......the city isn't huge but it's big enough for these 2...trust me!

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Groundmaster and I haven't met - that we know of. I've met Sprinklerguy at his other business, the fishing pond. Maybe GM and I need to hit Copper Mtn together. Business meeting you know. Get to write off the season pass! OK at least 50% since it would fall under entertainment. I don't have the season pass, I tend to spread out my boarding trips to a few different places.

9. MOlawnman

MOlawnman LawnSite Member

We're still scheduling installs!