Done with Kawasaki engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by ddixon7, Jul 9, 2013.

1. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought BS Vanguards were made in Japan. I have two 18hp.

2. Clippers PLS

Clippers PLS LawnSite Bronze Member

All of the Kawasakis we have are all relatively old...couldn't tell you the year but they run flawlessly. Last year we had to replace one and rather than pout the 481 on it I put a Kohler on there. My first mower I bought had a Kohler 15 hp engine on it. Kohler engines seem to be the top of the line for me. Never have had one problem with any of the Kohlers on our Zturns. one of them almost have 5000 hours on it.

3. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

They are.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

If German engineering was from Japan.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

____10-4_____

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I got 3 17hp kaw, one had broken rod the other two are leaking oil everywhere. I took both off the Sentar last winter and put new seals everywhere. now one is using oil And I got a 13hp and 20hp and both are using oil. If these were kohler I woudl ring em and it would be good to go but don't think you can do this with these?

7. Porcupine Lawn and Snow

Porcupine Lawn and Snow LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Kawi on my Wright Sentar that uses oil and it's a 2009. But,
    On the other hand we have the lawnboy 20" mowers with the kohler xt-6 and they run flawlessy. These are the mowers that get used the most because 75% of our lawns are postage sized residental...

8. tony b

tony b LawnSite Member

You are correct. I thought the vanguard line came from the german buyout briggs made in the 80's. Turns out vanguards are a mitsubishi design.

9. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Vanguards are manufactured by Daihatsu, which is a division of Toyota (51.2%). B&S went in on the building of the manufacturing plant with Daihatsu, so that they could have the exclusive rights of distributorship of the Vaguard engine here in the US.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  10. Leland Lawn

Leland Lawn LawnSite Member

I have 8 mowers with Kawi motors on them, ranging from 6hp to 27. Generally I've been very happy with them as well. Although I am also happy with the Kohler EFI in my Walker as well. I think my next ZTR may also be Kohler EFI powered...

My mower doesn't burn oil like yours does, but I did have the same sort of starting problem last week on the exact motor you have! I pulled and pulled on that thing for nearly half an hour trying to figure out what was wrong. I noticed it seemed to be flooded, and wasn't really drying out like it should with time. The plastic choke leaver on the carb was stuck in the closed position, thus flooding the mower more with each pull.