Done With Solo's

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawn king, Aug 4, 2007.

1. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Wouldn't you think after 20+ years, solo would build a backpack sprayer with decent straps and a cap seal that actually works well? I have purchased half a dozen backpacks in the last 18 months, including SP's and gilmore, they are all junk! I'm going back to shindawia for good!
  2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I couldn't agree with you more. I too am tired of their shortcomings. I recently bought a Shindaiwa SP415 backpack sprayer and love it! The only downfall of the thing I can find, is the external piston you have to keep lubricated. If you don't keep the piston lubed with lithium grease, the diaphragm that seals the space between the piston and the cap (that goes around the piston), will get pulled out of place from the friction of the piston sliding up through it.
  3. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

4. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree 100%. Nothing like a full backpack 1/2 falling, 1/2 dragging you to the ground because a strap came undone just as you put it on, or worse, get 20 steps away from the truck with no where to set it down! The cap seal is another sore spot with me, too. I thought I had the answer with my SP, but it leaks, too. Even with the recessed cap, my shirt still gets wet. I HATE it. AZ, how often do you have to replace your cap seal/breather? I guess I'll have to try a Shindawia. I swithed over to the diaphragm pumps due to abrasives like Surflan grinding on the piston. Does the Shind. piston seem to stand up to this any better?
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm using both. I have two piston pups, and one diaphragm (for Drive).
    Mark, I am sending you a PM.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a couple Echo brand and straps won't stay hooked but the big thing is none of these sprayers have screens to keep nozzles from clogging on backpacks. No padding on the straps until you get up into the 5 -6 gallon size and it sure is nice to have padding.
  7. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

SP's are awesome. I've got one and we have about 5 at my full time job. You have to keep the breather and the cap seal OILED!! Use 3in1 oil- it keeps the seals from rotting= no more leaks.
  8. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

A decade ago i would have agreed with you perfectEarth. Shindawia 415's are the way to go, i just wish they would offer a northeast model with a hose that could endure our cold weather. Kinda hard to R & R, about sprayers as i landed on the ground in aruba about 3 hours ago! Keep that crabgrass down until my return, good lawn people!
  9. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the tip Perfect, I'll try it tommorow. Have a good vaction LK.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

We have 3 sp sprayers, had em for years with straps coming unhooked thatz the only problem.