done with stihl

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wecutgrass, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Wecutgrass

Wecutgrass LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking to buy a new trimmer tomorrow, i am done with stihl. I had a fs 110r for about a year and half before it started being junk, then i bought another fs 110r about 6 months ago and it is already crap. The throttle sticks so it will stay locked down at full power, it never wants to starts and then today i went to use it and it was leaking gas everywhere. So my plan is to sell my old fs110, fix one that is only 6 months old, and then buy a new trimmer. I do not know which type of trimmer to buy. I was considering a husqvarna with equilvant power to the 110. which i think is around 27 or 29 cc's, i could be wrong. Any input on what trimmer i should buy would be great. thanks. I am also looking at hedge trimmers so i may consider one where you can use different attachmeants. Thanks!

2. alsam116

alsam116 LawnSite Member

redmax is what we are starting to switch to.

3. Wecutgrass

How is that working out for you? i used one a couple of months ago and when i went to resprool it, it was very difficult. I may have been doing something wrong. Is it easy to resprool them once you know how to do it? I know you use one long string instead of two shorter ones, right?

4. rmslawns

rmslawns LawnSite Member

I am using Stihl but have some friends that have switched to Kawasaki and are happy with them.

5. Chevy z71

Chevy z71 LawnSite Fanatic

I like my kawasaki.

6. Wecutgrass

I don't think I've seen any kaw trimmers at my dealer. I'll have to look and see
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Greyst1

Greyst1 LawnSite Senior Member

I switched to shindy last year. Tired of fuel leaking through the carb to the filter, tired of new carbs and carb rebuilds, tired of valve adjustments,etc. Overall Stihl products are good, however the total cost of ownership is misleading and the maintenance costs are higher than echo/shindy.

To be fair i blame the carb rebuilds on the fuel, however today's mfg's know about the problems and do nothing about it.

Shindy, echo, and redmax

8. Wecutgrass

I'm leaning towards redmax and may throw a speed feed on it
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

husqvarna's are good and really light as well. i like them much better than stihl trimmers.

10. Wecutgrass

Not many people use those around here, I'll have to do a little research on those
    Posted via Mobile Device