Don't ask a Red Neck

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Ric, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yo

Don't ask a Red Neck what kind of fuel mileage they are getting on their Pickem Up Truck. You will only get a very Blank look and a DUH response. Ask a compact owner and you get an answer to the hundreds of a mile.

So the Question is WHAT KIND OF MPG DO YOU GET and ON WHAT ENGINE.

Mine are.

2.5 Ranger gets 27 MPG

300 6 F 250 gets 14 MPG

Isuzu NPR 135 hp gets 12 MPG Diesel

I am looking to buy an other truck and put a 200 gallon Skid Sprayer in it. I believe the 4.3 V6 Chev gets the best gas mileage, But would like some input from those smart enough to operate a calculator and figure costs of driving. I want to replace the F 250 with a better mileage Truck. BTW I plan to buy used so I can pay cash. There are a few 3/4 ton 4.3 made but they are hard to find used because the run great and cheap. I will take a 1/2 ton.

Please only reply about a truck you own or have owned.

2. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

My dads 1/2 ton chevy with the small v8 gets the exact same gas milage as my truck, which is exactly the same, except I have the 4.3 six cylinder. With a tank in the back and the motor straining more from the weight of 200 galolons of water, the v8 would probrably be more efficent, as its not straining as hard. I wish I bought a v8, I thought I was saving gas...

3. S&MLL

S&MLL LawnSite Senior Member

08 2500HD 6.0vortec 6speed auto 11.4mpg or towing bobcat s250 8.1 mpg

4. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

2006 ford f350 6.0l 15.4mpg

ric if you get a 1/2 ton truck let me know if you need the rear springs beefed up..i can do that at the shop for you

5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

*Needs me a blank look "DUH" icon thingy*

4.0 V6 Ranger-anywhere from 12 to 16, mostly around 14.5
    350 V8 C20- 12.5 or so pretty consistently

6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

And here I thought Ric was going to tell everyone why we shouldn't ask him any questions.

7. Green Up

Green Up LawnSite Member

Do not buy a Tundra 5.7L V8 381 Hp. if you are looking for mileage. If you are looking for power to pull, I would say it is great. In town 13-15 on the road alittle better 18.5 approx.

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Karl

From the Feed Back so far I might as well stay with my F 250 which already is set up including F 450 Leaf Springs. I could use some Shocks. about 2000-2001 I had a 351 F 250 go in the shop for a head job. A kid working for me offered to pull my 20 ft Haulmark. Not only did his 4.3 pull it better with a 410 but I paid for all his gas on and off the job. As a kid he cruised all night long Between Naples and Sarasota. My gas bill was still less than the 351.

The F 250 has seen better days as a 1994 model. I bought it brand new and after 14 years and 200K It doesn't owe me any thing. But with a car, a Motorcycle and 3 trucks I do have a slight parking problem. The F 250 is more a back unit that I could do without. But I would like to replace it with something newer but used so I can pay cash and not feel the cost bite of a a brand new model.

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

99 chevy, 5.7 V8, 3500, 4 wheel, unloaded on a trip about 16. Loaded heavy and around town with multiple short trips, about 12 miles per gallon. About 32 cents per mile in fuel costs alone.

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

98 Chevy K1500 w/ the 5.0.

Empty: city=13.8, hwy=16.8

Loaded with Chems+Trailer: city=8, hwy=10

I, too, find that my "more efficient (aka "smaller")" v8 is so underpowered that I actually suffer from it. Not only is it terrible on gas, it can barely get me up hills. I kid you not when I say I have to turn off the A/C to make it up some hills.

Given the cash flow, I'd buy a diesel in a heartbeat. My bed gets loaded with 3500# and my trailer adds a whole lot more. I'd gladly pay an extra $0.75/g to have 500ft.lb. of torque on demand... And a suspension/frame meant to do what I do...