Don't be afraid of gas prices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Accu-cut Lawn Care, May 19, 2007.

1. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Everytime I talk to other lco's at gas stations, they ALWAYS mention how the high fuel prices are about to put them out of business. To me, it seems like this will work to my(and your) advantage in the future. Lawn and grounds maintenance is something that will always need to be done regardless of how much it's costing property owners. The fact that some companies are not structured to handle the rising cost of fuel means that someday those guys will not be in business. Lowballers will become scarce. What do you guys think?

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

It will probably scare more lowballers off than anything. Fuel prcies would have to more than double to really put me in a strain. Don't get me wrong, I hate paying $3.00 and up per gallon but I can handle it.

Fortunately, if they continue to go on up, my customers would be understanding over rate increases before it started to hurt me.

3. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I literally think,

I imagine myself 10 or 20 years from now looking back and saying, 'I almost had a nice business going but someone stole 200 bucks, or my truck broke down or... ' any other insignificant thing that seems important when it happens but in the big picture means nothing. It even looks silly to be thinking that a few dollars either way can't be overcome.

Specifically for gas I think of the positive things, like it will make it tougher on the competition to or customers actually pay the gas bill, or its good for the environment because hybrids will flourish.

4. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey I was thinking the EXACT thing today while I was getting gas! I thought...wont these prices make lowballing less appealing? Guys around here will mow for 15 bucks...but now you cant even get 5 gallons of gas for 15 bucks...im thinking these idiots will parish with these gas prices. So bring it on!!!

5. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I sure hope so.

6. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

When I got through reading your post I remembered it said parish. I thought to myself that boy has got to be from North or South Carolina and sure enough a good old Raleigh boy. You may want to look for another word most people don't know what that means.

7. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

I think most people know what parish means.

8. DAV Mowers

DAV Mowers LawnSite Member

Sure it's going to push some out of the business and maybe some of us can take over the accounts. BUT.....

That same high gas prices are also hurting our customers, they have to pay the same we do and it hurts them just as bad. On top of it other prices are raising for them and us both, food, school, etc, etc. When gas get high enough others will start to look for ways to cut back to save a little money and a few of our customers will drop lawn care and start trying to do it themselves. It will not look the same but they will do it.

Don't count your chickens before them hatch.

9. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Do you mean perish or is it an inside joke about going to church?

:)

10. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

Haha no comment.