1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Don't be afraid to work in Alaska.

Discussion in 'Employment' started by webami, Mar 21, 2006.

Why I would not work in Alaska

Poll closed Apr 20, 2006.
  1. Not enough pay.

2. Too far away.

3. Too cold.

4. Haven't thought about it.

5. I'm scared.

0 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. webami

webami LawnSite Member

Just putting it out there....anyone (Bueller.......) anyone. Jobs available in Alaska. $10-17 per hour DOE. Possibly more for the right individuals. End of season bonuses and the best place to work in the summer. Days-20 hours of sunlight and highs in the 70's to low 80's (if we're lucky). If adventure calls you, give THE LAST FRONTIER a try.:drinkup:

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Hard to pick up and move in the lower 48 and I can imagine it is even harder to move there? What is housing running, like to rent an average apt?
    Not interested in the job just curious.
  3. JLL25

JLL25 LawnSite Member

What are the job requirements? I love the "idea" of Alaska, but the perks would have to be absolutely mouth watering to justify that move.
  4. webami

webami LawnSite Member

Just to let everyone know, I'm willing to pay up to $1500.00 towards moving expenses upon completion of the season. Rental housing isn't too bad, one bedroom apartments for $450-650. Two bedrooms are about $700-900. It is difficult to start up anywhere new, but if you really want to try Alaska, this is a good opportunity to do that. I'm interested in individuals who want to be on the ground floor or higher of an up and coming company. We've experienced 20-100% growth for three years so far, and still haven't hit our capacity. The only thing holding us back is quality employees in key positions.:hammerhead:
  5. webami

webami LawnSite Member

Job requirements include but are not limited to: Ability to independently work on commercial and high-end residential projects while leading other team members, ability to operate walk-behind mowers and all related grounds maintenance equipment, willingness to work outside in inclement weather, ability to work efficiently with a constant eye on quality....just to name a few.
    Willingness for new adventures and challenges are important for people to move up here. It is difficult being far from family (if that's important to you), but Alaska is the best place to be in the summer. Not too hot, and LOTS of sunshine. Not to mention more fish than you can shake a stick at. What I'm looking for are people who want opportunities to grow within a company. I offer possibilities for Green Industry certification paid by the company, and the ability to move into supervisory/managerial positions. Season ending bonuses for top performers who can efficiently produce results while working with other team members. If you want more info. feel free to post here, or Private Message me.:drinkup:
  6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

That's low pay for Alaska.Cost of living there is high and wages paid should reflect that..Thereis no way anybody could live on 10 to 17 an hour up there and still eat.
  7. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Thats what I kinda thought too sheshovel but that rent doesn't seem bad.. he did say more possibly for someone more qualified. Could be a great experience for someone.
  8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I'd go in a heartbeat, but with all the hunting and fishing available, you wouldn't get much work out of me.:cool2:
  9. webami

webami LawnSite Member

:hammerhead: I would be interested to know where your research is from sheshovel:hammerhead: . The cost of living in Anchorage is not higher than many places. It just seems like another post from someone who doesn't know. I apologize in advance for dissing your post sheshovel, but you would be surprised how the cost of living is not more than living in the states (especially CA). We have no sales tax, no state income tax, and a cost of living which is similar to any other mid sized city in the states. I moved up here and was making only $8.00 per hour to do grounds maintenance, but I moved up quickly because of my hard work and determination. I provide premium grounds maintenance which is slowly changing the paradigm of "two guys/girls and a truck" mentality of cheap services. It takes EVERYONE in the industry to realize the true costs of doing business, and the small lowballer people who mow a lawn for $25 does not help anyone in the long run. The rates that I said in the beginning post are examples of what people pay their employees up here. If someone is doing installations, the rate would be higher because many times there is more skill involved, not to mention a higher margin:dizzy: . But as others have stated, there is opportunities to make more for the right people:dancing: . Please get your facts straight before coming to conclusions which are untrue.
  10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well it is straight from the horses mouth.I had two freinds who moved up there both with full time jobs and they had to share an apartment with her parents and never could get their heds above water made it two years and had to return to the states.Both made more $$ than you are paying and they said cost of living was very high..but so was wages to compensate somewhat.It just did not compensate enough.