Don't bother me in public

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Rdizzle79, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Rdizzle79

Rdizzle79 LawnSite Member

My wife and I are dinning at a pretty expensive joint and I happen to notice a customer of mine just about to leave with his wife. This guy is a complete jerk off. He always complains and if it isn't something my crew did he's nagging about his maids.

Anyway he noticed me in the restuarant and starts walking my way. This Jack Ass ruined about a half an hour of my dinner by telling me what I need to do at his house next week. He even gave me a pen to write things down on a napkin incase i get to drunk tonight and forget. He didn't even say Hi or sorry to my wife.

If this guy wasn't paying me over a grand a month to do his yard I would have been sitting in the slammer that night and him in the hospital.

2. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

You should have told him politely that you were trying to enjoy a nice evening out with your wife and that you appreciate it if you could talk business at a later time. Could have told him that you would call him or stop by in the a.m. to get all of the specifics.

3. Rdizzle79

Rdizzle79 LawnSite Member

Unfortunalty I did but he said they were going out of the country for the week (Filthy rich) and he was planning on calling me that night anyway. I said I was trying to enjoy dinner with my wife and if he wouldn't mind call me anyway when he got home and leave a detailed message but he wanted to draw sketches on napkins from the bar.

4. Korey

Korey LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, the nerves of some people. Your customer doesn't seem like the type that would try to be polite, especially in a situation like that. If it was so urgent that you had to get the info from him, I wonder if he would have called or emailed you if he hadn't seen you.

5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like there should be an "after hours consutation fee" added to his bill.

6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

That is pretty rude thats for sure.But I would have told him listen I am having dinner right now the best thing I can do is call you when I leave.If you want to draw little pictures on bar napkins go ahead,just leave them at your house and I will pick them up while your gone.Have a nice trip and i'll see you when you get back:waving: .

7. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Make sure you write off you and your wife's dinner last night as a business meal expense. Save the napkins and everything that the guy was drawing on.
    And I agree.. add in an after hours consultation somewhere to the bill.

8. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

Personally I would not have stood for it no matter what they paid esp after you asked them nicely that this is not the time. I would have got up and told him that due to the unprofessional approach and disrespect for you and towards your wife he will have to find someone else and say good night.

9. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Had the same thing happen to me. First off I dont even manage the residential mowing that we do so he was talking to the wrong person. He was actually quite nasty and caused a scene. Finally the owner of the resturant asked him to leave. I tried to be nice and told him to call the office the next day but he insisted in ranting at the table

10. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like it's a bad situation. how dependant are you on his account to survive? if it won't kill you, dump him. if it will, suck it up.

side note - i think my wife would have killed the guy for that.