Dont buy a Honda Harmony II

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Youngster, Jun 24, 2000.

1. Youngster

Youngster LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Well, i shoulda listened to those of you who told me not to get the Harmony II and get something better. I've only had the mower about 3 months and it already has problems. The rear wheels are locking up all the time and it really doesnt cut worth a damn if the grass is high or damp at all. My friend just got a Toro Super Recycler and it cuts 10 times better. Oh well. I'll know next time. I'm not knocking honda at all. The harmony II was designed for home owners, but i thought since i only cut about 8-10 yards a week it'd be OK. It's still under warranty so we'll see how good their customer service is now! Just needed to let off a little steam. <p>Youngster<p>----------<br>Cashin' in on Others Laziness!!!!<br>

2. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

Youngster, sorry to hear about your bad luck with your honda. I also bought a Harmony II this year. It's the HRT 216. Only problem I've had with mine is a broken rear wheel bolt. But that was my own fault. My lazer smashed it against the gate on my trailer. So far mine has held up well, and i'm happy with it. Keeping fingers crossed. :)

3. Hello:<p>If they warrantry it at all, that will be what you call excellent customer service. <p>It's a homeowner mower, if it's used to cut for a profit or used to cut income producing properties, then it's considered Commercial use, thus voiding any warranty. <p>So if your dealer warranties it at all, consider him or her to be a lot better than most dealers. He can tell by looking at unit if it is used commercially.<p>If you've had it for 3 months & cut only 8 yards a week, that's 96 yards. That's real close to 4 average years of homeowner use. <p>So it was ran the equivalent of 4 years? Now you grossed probably $2,000 To $2,500 & one minor break down with a homeowner mower that cost around $500?<p>Please try to understand this, I'm just trying to show you that the mower is a good mower & you really need to look at how much work you have done with it.<p>The manufacture probably broke even when they sold it. That's the industry standard.<p>The trucking company that hauled it grossed about $15 to $20 max. shipping it.<p>The dealer grossed about a hundred dollars selling it, he paid the shipping, paid someone to put together, paid someone to service it out & then paid someone to sell it.<p>Sounds to me like you got the best end of the deal & if the dealer warranties the repair, you have came out of this smelling like a rose.<p>BTW: It sounds like all that needs to be done to the unit is back wheels need to be pulled. Then where the ratchet & gear assembly are, just need to be cleaned out & lubed. Doesn't sound very serious.<p>Youngster: Please let us know how it turned out? I would like to know? Sorry just curious?<p>I wasn't trying to give you a hard time, just wanting all to look at overall picture.<br><p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

4. Youngster

from Texas

I never really looked at it like that. But i guess your right. I'll see if they will warrant the mower. I plan on taking it next week somewhere and see what they say. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. I guess i cant really expect a $450 home owner mower to cut like a $1000 commercial job. I'll keep in touch.<p>Youngster<p>----------<br>Cashin' in on Others Laziness!!!!<br>

5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

the place where you bought it dosnt have to no you used it commercially! Demand the work to be done for free!

6. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Here we go again......read the post about the guy who couldn't handle his Lesco!!! Cause I'm not going to repeat my theory on bashing a certain company because of user error. Its not Honda's fault you use their resedential mower for commercial use. As far as HOMEOWNER mowers go, Honda is on top of the list, I think with JD and Toro, andd a few others. I'm sure if you weren't transporting it back and forth and only using it to do 1 lawn a week, it would hold up a lot better. I guess this is kind of a good thing though, we have to learn from our mistakes and the mistakes of others, so now all you new guys can understand the importance of quality commercial equipment!<br><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

7. Jason

Actually if you bought that mower within the last three months, it's under warranty. Holding my Honda book right now. Noncommercial/nonrental is warrantied for 24 months. Commercial/rental use is warrantied for 3 months

8. Youngster

from Texas

Just an update. read my post about Mayberry's customer service. Problem is solved.<p>Youngster<p>----------<br>Cashin' in on Others Laziness!!!!<br>

9. Jason

Well my Harmony II is finally showing me the difference between homeowner and commercial quality. Tonight I unloaded it and noticed it no longer is a self-propelled model. Now it truly is a push mower. The lever to engage the transmission fell off. Covered 40 miles, so no idea where it is. I still think it is a good mower. Just all the bouncing around on a trailer day in and day out takes a toll on a non-commercial mower I guess.

10. Jason

Well tonight I noticed the kill lever, or blade engagement lever is now missing too. Lost that sometime today. Guess I'll be fabricating something up. :)