Don't buy Meg-mo off Ebay!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KathysLGC, Oct 3, 2005.

1. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I was surfing the exmark section of ebay when I came across a set of Meg-Mos for my Lazer Z. I quickly put a bid in of $150. I ended up winning and shipping was $25..... Total so far $175.

When i get them the blades where all very dull and many where no good due to the rounded edges. Seems some one didn't know how to use a hand grinder.... I had to remove the blades in order to sharpen them when I noticed one of the disks badly bent...

Now I was heated so i called Meg-mo to see about buying a replacement but was told I should be able to bend the disk back to near perfect flatness so I'll try that tonight. I ordered all new blades and fasteners for about $65 with shipping.

This set off ebay cost me more then a new set from Meg-Mo!!!!!! :angry: Hopefully I can get the disk back in shape so I won't get even more pissed about it.
    Moral of the story,.. get your megmos from Meg-Mo. I'll take a few pics before I attempt to straighten the disk out so you can see what I mean by having a bent disk. It appears the person hit a rock or curb hard while going fast which obviously made the blade go back but the forward movement of the mower must of bent the disk upward.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Let us know how you like them....

Not many are happy with them on eXmarks.

3. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Playboy.....were the blades described as "used"? If not or if you think (sounds like you did) get ripped off, contact Ebay. They may make the seller refund your money or ban them from further sales. Raise a little (a big stink!) stink. Check it out. It's worth a shot for that kind of cash.

Second thought....did you pay with a credit card? If so contact the card company and claim fraud, which I think it was. Request a back charge to the payee and a refund to your account. (and either way, I'd probably keep the blades for all the problems.)

Jim

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Just lay them on the concrete and smack them with a sledge hammer. The discs are easily bent and straitened. ;) Actually you don't even need a sledge, just a mallet.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Moral of the story,.. get your megmos from Meg-Mo.
    Ebay the worlds biggest garage sale, mostly people selling crap they don't want

6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Mac, I disagree with your statement. I purchase many things off Ebay. Just this past week I have purchased new headlights for my Chevy 2500, and one of those Mosquito mega catchers. I have bought Roundup, edger blades etc. If I want something I always check out Ebay first to see what the buy it now price is and it's usually much cheaper. The Headlights I bought are aftermarket, but exact replacements. They are $300 anywhere else, but I paid $65. The Mega Catch is $250 everywhere else and I paid $159. I also bought a new door handle for my Chrysler Sebring that would have cost me $90 from the dealer, but I got a new replacement for $18 on Ebay. You will be amazed at what is sold on Ebay which is just about everything. I bought a Dewalt drill and saved $100. I could go on and on, but my point is there is deals to be had on Ebay

I will say that you have to be educated and know what you are buying. Read all descriptions very throughly. I have never been burnt on Ebay, but I almost always buy new products only. I wouldn't trust buying anything used.

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

but I almost always buy new products only. I wouldn't trust buying anything used.
    thats a little differnt than what I was talking about, you must be buying from ebay stores, as far as the door handles go though apperently the person selling them did not have a need for them, thats what I meant by "people selling crap they don't want" I bought and sold but I sold things that I had no use for and bought things that thers had no use for. Ebay has its place its just way down on my places to look

8. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Yea, I agree with that.. By the way the door handle was new from a Ebay store also, but was a remanufactured part like the headlights. Just wanted to clear that up. You are right I normally shop the buy it now prices. but everything is generally (not always) new no matter if I buy it from a store, or individual. None the less, you know the saying "One man's junk is another man's treasure" :p

P.S. I shouldn't have said "I wouldn't trust buying anything used" becasue I have bought a few used items, but they were items that don't wear out with use. Like the signed Jimmie Johnson die cast race car I bought for my wife (she's a Johnson fan, the car could have been damaged and I did take a chance). What I should have said was "Be careful what you buy and make sure you read the description and ask the seller any questions to help you make an eductaed decision before buying used"

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

They work great on the Ultracut deck. Or any deep deck

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

John,

Your the only guy reporting satisfactory results with Meg-Mow's on a Lazer. But then, your happy with doubles on a Lazer (I am very dissatisfied). Any blade combo which puts the cutting surface lower than it is stock has never given me decent results. Entirely too much blowout and too easy to damage blades on raised curbs.