Don't chop your toes off!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnguyland, Apr 19, 2006.

1. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

2. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

"It drives me crazy to see little kids riding on a lawn mower," said lead study author Dr. David Bishai, an associate professor of population and family health sciences at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. "It's not a go-cart -- it's a lawn mower with big cutting blades on it. Go get the kid a go-cart if you want them to roll around. There is no reason that somebody under 15 should be anywhere near a lawn mower," he added.

He's probably right in a way, inexperienced children jumping on their mower and doing stuff that is a bit risky, sometimes sending them to the emergency room. But then again how many guys 15 and under do we have here? I think most of us have the know how to stay safe though. just curious---- Anyone in the Baltimore area on here that mows for him?( im allowed to ask that, correct?)
  3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I would bet that over half of the members here are under 18
  4. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Brad/Flex-Deck, Not to be rude but, where did you come up with that figure? I can't see OVER HALF of LS being under 18 no way.

5. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I am under 18 for another 36 days. :cool2:
  6. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm under 18, i've been using the riding mowers and walk behinds since i was 12, but then again, i always read the manuals and always took precautions.
  7. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Mike & Mystic, What he is saying is OVER HALF of 30,000+ members are under 18. I can't see that, I see more guys that are in their 20's & 30's and even over 50 than guys that are under 18 years of age.

Mystic :bday: 36 days early :waving:
  8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

A pair of steel toe boots will solve the problem of toe amputations.

A LCO in his right mind will solve the debris problems, EX: Either go up to the customer if home and ask him or tell his children to get off of the lawn and either go inside or stay 100 feet away from the area. It doesnt take much to launch a rock or stick with deadly force especially with a ZTR.

As for the 15 yr old and under mowing comment, that is ludicrous. I have been on riding mowers and behind push mowers since I was 7. Then again, I have always enjoyed mowing and have always taken safety precautions before using a mower.