don't come

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toy2, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

OK folks, its starting: Because of the heat and no rain, drought issue, homeowners are calling: "Nothing is growing, so don't come this week". I know this has happened to most of you, any tips? It's getting to the point where I have started looking at the classifieds? Don't get me wrong, I love doing this, but do not like the "no control"...Help!

2. REENO

REENO LawnSite Member

want to sell anything

3. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Well for me I charge by month. I basicly charge for 5 cuts a month but I just give them one price for a mowing for the month. if they complain I knock off 5 bucks per month. so in peak growing season I sometimes mow 5-7 times a month but right now in ohio all the lawns are dead and not growing. but I still bill them for the cut. most dont seem to mind. I do this on all my account and only lost a couple for this. I have 94 accounts. So in the end of the season I actually make more money then charging per cut. After today I am heading on a vacation :cool2: for a week since I have nothing to do and still getting paid payup.

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

You need to plan in advance for the day when it gets "too dry out" for grasscutting. Not knowing anything about your company, but if you don't already, you need to start offering other services. Mulching, hedge maintenance, new bed installations, etc. This is a good way for an lco to survive when lack of rain stops the grass from growing.
    We are booked solid for the whole month of July with various jobs that will keep Matt busy when the grass slows down. In fact, Matt's doing a decent $$$ job today instead of grass cutting.
    Sell, sell, sell to your existing customers. Sometimes a customer might not think about getting new mulched installed, until you put the "bug" in her ear how nice it will look.

5. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

REENO
    That was cold!!!!

6. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

The good advise above and Yearly contracts.

We might mow 5 or 6 times in fast growth conditions.But When mother nature ,turns on the hot furnace turning the turf brown, We might only mow once or twice.
    Checks and cc charges, from the spread out payments still come in.

7. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks folks, for all the tips..I knew the first year would be rough. Around here, its pay as you go. No contracts, commercial accounts appear locked in to the current LCO's. I might consider a part-time job to keep me busy. My new open trailer is just sitting idle..wife not to happy about it parked on the grass?? "Just keep mowing"!! "Just keep mowing"!!

8. mole

mole LawnSite Member

when it's dry cut it high. never had a call not to come.