Don't cry me a river

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ground Pounder, Apr 13, 2001.

1. Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder LawnSite Member

This is my first season and I have already fired a customer.

I went to cut her yard the other day. The turf was about 4" tall. I make a turn and see her standing in my path about 20 yards ahead of me. I stop, shut the machine off and she starts out with "It's only April 9th. Don't you think you jumped the gun?" "I am a retired school teacher and I didn't budget for any lawn care this month. I don't think it needs mowed yet."

I am fuming at this point. She continues... "The last service cut it for me every 10-14 days."

I explain to her that it is hard on the turf and the equipment to let it go that long. I told her my service operates on a weekly schedule. She says that she will check with the neighbor boy to see if he will do it.

I reply with "That sounds like a good idea." The professional I am, I finished the job. When I was done I went to her door, told her that I would not be able to meet her schedule demand and that was that.
  2. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

been there done that!! they think cause you have a big commercial mower it is om to cut 8 to 10 inch tall grass cause they can however they do not realize how much stress and wear and tear that is involved..i did not spend over 7 grand only to flush it down a toilet...if they want every 10 to 14 days then they can find someone else..oh yeah i hate it when a customer stops me in my tracks be it to just converate or tell me to do something..i hate interuptions but it is part of the game
  3. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

When they say they are on a budget..I simply tell them I am on one to :D
  4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the insanity of the lawncare biz and the constant battle with the customers over anything and everything. Even when you work for them for years there personalities can change from year to year. Sometimes you are dayumed if you do and dayumed if you dont.
  5. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I love it when customers tell me they're on a "budget" and especially when they say they're "on a fixed income". I always reply with " Gee, you're sooo lucky, I don't know what's coming in every month" They usually pause for a moment for it to sink in LOL
  6. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I had to fire a customer because she was all stressed out about moving. My partner and I show up and the place was a mess. We did an outstanding job and she freaked out over a weed.I thought she was smoking some. Her back yard was to high to cut so we used our string trimmers . Than her next door neibour threated to call the police on us because we were blowing out the gutter after we swept all the leaves up first.
    I went to my customer and told her this is the last time we will service this lawn. Just don't need the hassle.

Lesson learned be weary of a single lady in the process of placing her home for sale.
  7. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

well boys i tell my new customers before they become on my list that i will cut the yard when i feel it needs it or if they think it does sooner than me to just call and i will take care of it. whether it maybe 4 days or 2 weeks in the summer, but i try and wait for the kind of people they will say do what ever you have to to make my yard look the best and just bill me for it, or the kind that say that they want this done now and in june mulch and so on and so on, man i love those kind of people.

hey ground pounder, i'm outside of youngstown, ohio and this will be my 3rd week of cutting coming up on the 15, i thought i was getting a late start this year. good luck to you, you need any advice make a new thread or just email me i'll help you out as much as i can.
  8. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Hmm my commercial accounts dont do this...I have seen the light......
  9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

uhhh...GP, uhhhh...reading the above quote, I think it was the school teacher that fired you!

10. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I love the Fixed vs I don't know what's coming in , That's great. I'd LOVE for all mine to be weeklies. Dave g