"Don't cut it this week it hasn't grown enough"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by newbomb, Aug 14, 2006.

1. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

Several stops yesterday I heard the same thing, don't cut it, it hasn't grown enough. Two of the stops looked like a**. I think I will probably drop some of them next year. What do you guys do? How would you handle this? I lost money and time yeaterday. I starting to wonder why I bother doing this. Any thoughts?

2. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea I had some lady call me 2 weeks ago and said she wanted to skip. Then I called her back last week and asked if she needed it cut. She told me "I'll just call you when I need it cut again". And she said it in a snobbish way, like I was beneath her or something. I politely said..."Thanks, but I don't operate my business this way, so just call someone else to take care of it". She was very surprised....but Im not gonna drop everything Im doing and mow her because she says it's time. Im sure she can find a Saturday warrior with a push in the trunk.

3. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Believe me WJW, I am NOT knocking you but from your signature of equipment, you MAY appear to her as a "weekend warrior" with a push.

Just a thought.

4. WJW Lawn

A weekend warrior with a Quick 36...lol Thats a new one. Could it be the Pinto? Or the Scissors? Sorry friend...legit business, and this is all I do for a living...but if that's a weekend warrior then I guess I am.

5. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm a weekend warrior as well as a weeknight warrior. some of us are building our businesses so that we can go full time without a lapse of income :hammerhead: . don't criticize everyone who you see working on saturday, we aren't all lowballer/scrub/tax cheats.

6. WJW Lawn

I did the same thing Brendan!!! I guess some people have silver spoons and dont have to build up...they just buy thousands of dollars worth of equipment and cross their fingers. Its good for us becaue we can buy it at a discount on here later in the season.

Maybe when I get that Z-turn I'll really be somebody! lol:dizzy:

7. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Amen to that. Thats where people get into problems when you just jump right into the industry and think everything gonna go your way. When a clients tell me when to cut,how to cut " I say thank you for your time call someone else".You have to build a good client base before you can go full time, or your going to deal with this because you have no choice. I still have my 15$ an hour reg job that pays every friday without fail. Yes you have to plez yor clients you work for but their not going to run my biz.

8. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, it took me 17 years to get a ztr. Your somebody based on what you do and how you do it. Most of the ******* I know were born on third base and think they hit a triple.

9. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

new bomb, If it really is dry, skip for the week. I do this. Now if it really needs cutting, and they are just trying to save cash, they need to find someone else to play with.

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

You can tell by the Avatar that WJW Lawn has a good sense of humor...Ha