Dont cut me for the next 10 days, goin to Bermuda...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bastalker, Aug 22, 2003.

1. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Have this client who is going on a Bermuda cruise for 10 days, and does't want me to cut till he gets back. He is already due for a cut. Showed up today to cut, he says I dont want it cut till I get back.

He says to me we need the cash for Bermuda.

I told him , no problem, but will charge him more since it will be real high,

He calmly tells me, now get this, no charge me the same you have the equipment.

Didn't say a word...Just said no problem have a great trip.

After we drove away I told my employee, when he gets back, I will inform him to find someone else, cause I aint cuttin it any more....I bet he wishes he woulda just forked up the $40.

An hour later he calls me on the cell phone, and tells me, I talked to my wife, and she told me we need it cut before we go.

I am gonna drop him like a rock!!!!!!:angry:

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Ahhh, I love customers like that. I have dropped so many customers because of a situation similar to that. They want me to wait, but they feel that they shouldn't have to pay more.

What fun!!!!:dizzy:

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Now you have a service call that you already dragged your employee to. You need to explain this to him. Wages + fuel + your time = ?

4. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

God I hate that!

Have you read my post " Anal Over Water Bill"? Well if you read it its about this guy who is venting about his grass getting mowed after he watered to go on vacation bla bla bla

Anyways this guy is a rel-estate agent and he sometimes out of the blue calls and expects me to mow a property that is closing the next day all the way accost town. sometimes up to 50mn away with traffic.

Since I only have 13 customers I just deal with it knowing that I will not have to next year.

5. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Yer right runner. I would like to be a fly on the wall after he gets back. and I tell him I aint cuttin it anymore.

He thinks I am gonna cut it this weekend, but HIS problem is, I just picked up a butt load of high end accounts to replace people just lke him, and he just caught me at the wrong time...

6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I will tell you right now... if I drove out to his house and he told me not to cut, you had better believe he would get billed for me showing up. Unless they call me the day before not to cut, they are just better off paying at that point. :cool:

7. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Cut it. Bill him extra $ for an exta service call, and then drop him.

8. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Why you dropping him?

Has he done this before? Does he constantly chisel you on price for added services?

So the guy goes away and thinks he save a cut. Wouldn't you?

What do you do when they don't water during a drought and it's all brown for 2 months?

What do you do when they are having remodeling work done and the day you are scheduled you realy can't do it. But the job will be finished and cleanup in a day or two?

9. PPLMike

PPLMike LawnSite Member

You know what, I don't know about dropping him. If it was me I would respect his wishes and not mow the lawn. However, once he returned I would notify him that if he would like me to continue services I will have to increase my price to compensate for the missed mowing and the taller grass. If he disagrees, tell him that this is non-negotiable and that he will need to find a new LCO. If he has no problems, you're happy to continue service.

If you just picked up a bunch of new accounts, it's not a big deal. If you can resolve this problem without compromising, all the better -- give that a chance before you just drop him.

10. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting posts, I would love to have my customers all on a monthly price but here in OK that isn't likely so I charge per cut. That being said here is how I handle potential customers when they call I give them a price for the mow, trim, edge, blow. and tell them this price is for EVERY week, not every other, or every ten days. Every week right through the summer until frost, if we get in a drought will will discuss that when the time comes. I don't do this skip me this time. Most never have a problem with this, if they do I explain that when the grass is growing a lot I don't charge more,and when it slows down I don't cut it less it all evens out. I also tell them why should I put you in the schedule and allow you to call me and say skip me and I've got someone else willing to have it done every week.