1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Don't do many landscape jobs so...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Expert Lawns, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

i don't do many landscape jobs, mowing lawns is where i make my money. i have a customer who wants me to pull out flowers, shrubs and weeds from the raised flower bed going around the side of his house and around part of the back. then its to be filled in with top soil. i will put down weed barrier (mesh) and top it with cedar chips. what is a fair labor cost? i know to charge for product, but for the labor what do you guys charge? it will take maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a day to do. very tedious and i will be doing it myself.
  2. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

not to be smart here but you have it all figured out except one thing, what is your time worth?
  3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

You should make some profit on the materials you are buying. Since you mow, do you know how much you make per hour after deducting the cost the equipment and fuel? You should be allowing some money for your overhead also.
  4. Expert Lawns

yes i know about what i make mowing lawns. so if i make that amount (X) my labor rate for the landscaping job, it would be fair to them and profitable to me?

you mentioned that i should make money on the product too. lets say the weed barrier is $9. i should then charge how much for it? $12-15? same with the multch and soil?
  5. Lawn Wizard

Lawn Wizard LawnSite Member

I do $30- $35 a man hour and add 25% to materials. I work solo too and handweeding is tedious make them pay for it.
  6. Expert Lawns

here's what i did..........

took the total of product and multiplied it by 25%.

took my hourly rate multiplied it by 4 (figuring 4 hours tops)

then added $10. kind of a buffer for gas, unexpected expenses etc

that total sounded pretty good to me. is there anything else i need to take into consideration. there is no dumping fee, i will be bagging the weeds.
  7. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Skip the weed barrier...you'll be glad you did in the long run.
  8. Expert Lawns

why should i skip the weed barrier? the customer requested it. the only thing i can think of is getting more work out of for weeding etc.
  9. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

There are many past threads discussing the pros and cons of landscape fabric, but the majority seem to agree that it is worthless unless used under stone. Reason being, once the mulch starts to decay on top of the fabric you have in essence created an environment in which weeds can survive and root. In addition, these roots will become enmeshed in the fabric making them all the more difficult to remove. The profit you'll make will not counter the PITA you will encounter when the weeds start. I talk all of my clients out of the use of fabrics and instead preach IPM. There have been numerous new properties where I have been compensated to remove the fabric after it has been in for only a few years and the problems as I have stated above had begun.
  10. Bills Lawn Service

Bills Lawn Service Guest

I agree with the no mesh--bad stuf down the road