1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dont drink too much water on a hot day

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Ferdelance, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Ferdelance

Ferdelance LawnSite Member

Last year in Washington DC, a police officer training for bicycle duty over hydrated and died. When it starts to get to hot, I usually wait till the evening to finish mowing.
  2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper LawnSite Member

I couldn't have overhydrated yesterday with a fire hose run up my butt!
  3. nt1

nt1 LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .......Now thats funny!

It is 106.7 right now in Dallas ( in my back yard, in the shade).
  4. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think you can over hydrate. You stomach only holds so much before you throw up. Drink lots of water before you mow and during is what they say.
  5. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

that's great :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :drinkup: . i agree with the not being able to overhydrate statement too.
  6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

"waiting until the evening" is for girls, and senior citizens.
    ...and bicycle cops.
  7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I just finished for the day here and my thermometer is showing 105. If I drink too much I feel crappy, I try to drink 6-8 oz before I start a yard, the same after I finish mowing and another 6-8 oz after trimming. It doesnt seem to make me feel sick like that

8. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

I keep a bunch of little 8 oz drinks, non carbonated, on ice, and slam them all day.
  9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

How can you possibly "over hydrate"?
  10. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes you can possibly die from drinking too much water. It has happened before, you have to drink very large amounts in a short period of time.

water intoxication (also known as hyperhydration or water poisoning) is a potentially fatal disturbance in brain function that results when the normal balance of electrolytes in the body is pushed outside of safe limits by a very rapid intake of water.

If water enters the body more quickly than it can be removed, body fluids are diluted and a potentially dangerous shift in electrolyte balance occurs.