Don't drive your zero turn too close to the pond....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blk94fiveOh, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Blk94fiveOh

Blk94fiveOh LawnSite Member
    from MN

2. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

CLASSIC- LOL driving next close to a pond is not a problem IF you know how to properly maintain control of your mower. check out some of the pics it doesnt appear to show and "slippage" marks like the ground got soft or he slipped on wet grass its almost as if he just "fell asleep at the hydros" probably saw some hot chic walking to her car and was not paying attention................to the turf

3. Mico Landscaping design

Mico Landscaping design LawnSite Member

wow that's crazy!!! Now only if it was an exmark it would have never happened :) that's in my favorite's thanks

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

guess those dc's aren't as stable on the hill after all

5. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Dam'n..... haven't you seen the new snorkel attachment for the DC"s that lets you cut weeds underwater..... It is clearly obvious that they tried to cut to fast and stalled the motor out and when they went to re-start it the battery was dead.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I did something like that once with a WB my first year I think.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Oh it is possible with any mower next to a pond. What you could do last week may have changed and you didn't know it. Soft spot may have developed. Water content in the grass or the soil may have been just perfect to allow that mower to slip.

The beginning of 2003 next to a lake I've cut hundreds of times the same way, it was just the right moisture content in the soil and the lazer was like hitting ice. I stopped the machine with 1 back wheel hanging over the water and the other one on the bank.

8. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure that has happened to all mowers and brands. That's an operator error, you just don't do that with zero turns

9. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

Had a LLC put a brand new Hustler Mini Z in a pond. The bad thing was he could not swim! There were some kids next door that saw it happen that jumped in and pulled him out. guy down the street pulled it out with a tractor. changed all the fluids and filters it has 300 hrs on it no problems. We almost had a scag in a pond also, the deck hung-up on a some bricks that stopped it from going in.

10. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Been real lucky here. We cut around several ponds and had close calls only so far. Im sure my time will come though.