Don't Ever Change Your Phone Number

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Jun 24, 2002.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Just wanted to pass on a little tip that can make a big difference in this business. Keep the same business phone number forever! I always hand out plenty of cards before and after every job we do, estimate we give, etc. And although my address, services, etc. have changed over the years, I have always kept the same phone number.

It equates to a LOT of business for us. People will find those cards years later and call you, if they liked you. I still get calls from several years ago. And because of things like this, we've been able to operate with next to ZERO advertising this year. And we are still having a record year. All of our business these days comes from previous customers, referals or our trucks. I barely even do flyers any more.

Give your number (card) out a lot. And keep that number - whatever it takes.

Also stay listed in at least the white pages and possibly a bold listing in the yellow pages too. I can't tell you what a blessing it is to NOT have to advertise.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I completely agree. I've had my cell number since 1989. I get calls from people that got a flyer or card in the past and told me they just kept it just in case they ever needed it.

3. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

thats interesting. i was thinking about this recently.

i have a biz partner and when we started out we got a cell, with the last for digits LAWN (like everyone else).

i have my own cell, and as we've expanded we've givin the guys new mobile phones. but lately i've been wishing we were on the "direct connect" system (called "Mike" here). just so many cells, plus the land line office phone-i figured it would be easier. but to change to that network, we would need new handsets and new phone numbers, meaning giving up the "LAWN" line. i decided to keep it.

even now, that line rings so much we figure next year we'll have to leave it in the office, with me. get the partner a phone & new line, so he can actually get some work done in the field. so our main business number will be a cell phone that never leaves the office. the actual "Bell Canada" business line (that is listed in the white pages) never rings.

the cell is more expensive (much more) than the land line but the point is its worth it.

this is a great thread, so simple but so important

4. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

My current number is (434)984-5000.

Would it be worth a switch to (434) 984-LAWN?

Maybe as a second line. That number is available right now.

Or , 29-LAWNS, Which is 295-2967.

It would be easy to remember because Hwy 29 is the major thoroughfare here and it cuts right through town. Plus, most of our business is along the corridor.

Ken

5. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

984-5000?
    That's sweet!

Heck no, don't change, looking up the l-a-w-n on your phone is a pain.

6. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Plus, I have had 984-5000 for 5 years. I have a customer who moved here from New York. He said if I had that number up there I would be getting regular calls with offfers to "buy" the number for over $10,000. He called it a "golden" number.

Ken

7. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Why is that number a 'golden' number?? Is it easy to remember??

8. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

wish I could keep my number but we're moving and I don't think we'll be able to keep the same number :(

9. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Bubble boy, get a low plan on your high volume cell phone, and then forward the number to the office line. That way you can throw the phone away even and still keep the number. You could have it off, and what ever. Forwarding might cost some too, but hopefully would not be as high as using it all the time.

10. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

i never thought of that one!!!:eek:

does anyone know if that would work?? by forwarding to a land line, i would imagine the minutes won't accrue to the cell?

what even happens-i guess the cell won't even register an incoming call?

man that would be awesome-i cant imagine forwarding costs being as high as using the mobile...

i will have to phone my service provider and get some info

thanks for the idea Mr. Brickman:drinkup: