Don't forget those seat belts....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pioneer01, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Pioneer01

Pioneer01 LawnSite Member
    from Denver

BROOMFIELD, Colo. -- A landscaping worker suffered severe injuries Monday morning when the lawnmower that he was riding on toppled over him with the blade still spinning.

The worker was airlifted to Denver Health. His condition and name have not been released, though officials said he was 25 to 30 years old.

Officials said the man's arm was severely cut, though it was unclear if it was severed.

The incident occurred near the Omni Golf Course and The Camden Interlocken Apartments at 9:51 a.m., the North Metro Fire Rescue said.

The man was working near Hole 6 and was trying to go up a steep embankment on a riding lawn mower when he fell off his seat. The mower then turned around and ran him over, cutting him severely, firefighters said.

"Then the lawnmower turned and before the man could get out of the way, he was run over by this lawnmower with the blades still engaged, still mowing," said Wendy Forbes of the North Metro Fire Department.

The man's fellow employees and a few golfers ran to help him before paramedics arrived.

"It was a very gruesome scene for those bystanders but we have to give them credit that they stuck with that individual and tried to keep him calm," Forbes said.

North Metro Fire Rescue wants to remind everyone of the necessary safety precautions while mowing lawns and provided the following lists.

Mower operators said most models have a safety feature that cuts the power in an emergency.

Emergency crews said they are called out to lawnmower accidents every summer, mostly involving homeowners.

"Most mowers have safety features where if you let go of the handle it should stop the blade but too many people disable those features, and sadly, that's when people get hurt," Forbes said.

Copied from here:
    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/13737117/detail.html

OSHA also claims the deadman was disabled....

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Ugh, that makes me sick to my stomach.

Who disabled the safety switch on the seat is what I want to know.

3. hess

hess LawnSite Member

I think someone going to get what happened to the safty swich! i smell law suite

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Well if the operator knew that the safety switch was disabled, then it's his fault and he really has no right to sue anyone. Doesn't mean he wouldn't try though.

5. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Regarding seat belts. I was taught that you belt up when your ROP is up. No belt when ROP is down or not installed. You need the belt on when the ROP is up so if you flip the Z you stay in the seat where the ROP will prevent the mower from landing on you. If the ROP is down or not installed then you don't belt up. You don't want to be belted to the seat if the Z flips over and you have no ROP up.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, the OPC switch should have killed the mower and the blades.

I wonder if it was disconnected or if it failed?

7. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

Ouch, hope the guy recovers and has the med insurance to get him through this ordeal. Yeah, sounds like the safety switch was bypassed.

Don't have a newspaper article, but a couple of years ago a homeowner thought that a good/quick way to trim his hedges would be to lift his small push mower and hold it over them. As soon as he stuck his fingers under the deck........ zip, gone. What a dipstick!

8. hess

hess LawnSite Member

I mist read the site i thought he was working at the golf coarse:hammerhead: