1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Don't get demo models! ~ read

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Apr 20, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Last summer I worked part time for a John Deere dealer and learned one thing, not to buy a DEMO mower. You can try a Demo mower but don't buy that one, get one out of a crate and watch them put it together. This dealer had almost 5 acres of grass, and they had this M655 with a 54" deck, and the hourmeter showed like less than 14 hours or so. But all that summer they had me mow it with the meter disconnected and I put several hours a week on it, powerwashing and cleaning it each time. This one nice guy came in and tried it and bought the very mower and I felt sorry for him cause I knew he was getting a mower that had probably almost 90 hours on it and he thought it just had a few. THAT IS CHEATING THE CUSTOMER! Of course it had a little cheaper price and a full warranty, but still even under warranty they might have more breakdowns than normal and that is just wrong of a dealer to do I mean it is a pain up the @$$ to have to mess with this mower because it's breaking down sooner than it should and it gives the dealer and brand and brand of engine a bad name. Not advisable for anyone to get a demo model. Try it, and if you like it then get a new one out of the crate. You never know when this will happen. I know most of you are aware of this, but I just want to remind you since most are getting new machines this year. Watch out for #1! Since you are the one paying!
  2. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

Funny you brought this up i never thought of it. i bought a demo from Deere, a HD45 and like you said i think this might have been the case, the machine was in the shop two days after i bought it, and yes all it is is a cord that works the hour meter, easy to disconnect, personally do not, like to keep records.
    AK Lawn
  3. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

I think I would hesitate to buy anything from a dealer that is not trustworthy. New, used or demo'd. A reputable dealer will not be scamming his customers, regardless of their purchase. The post says more about the dealer than buying a demo.

4. GrassChopper

GrassChopper LawnSite Member

I bought a demo Wright from a John Deere dealer last year. Saved $1000.00 and haven't had a single problem.
  5. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Demo mowers can be a great buy. Generally the dealer has gotten an additional discount on a demo, so when he goes to sell it, he still gets a decent margin and the buyer gets a low hours mower with full warranty. The issue here is a disreputable dealer, not a demo mower,
  6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

well I guess I kinda meant also, watch out for bad dealers. I didn't mean all demos are bad. Just do some research about them before picking a dealer.. make sure you get what you pay for.
  7. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I trust my dealer 100%, bought a demo Exmark Lazer Z HP 52". Great mower, with no problems, and most of the 18 hours that were on it I put on myself before I bought it when I was trying it out. Would I buy another demo from him, absolutly....why not when you can save $1,500?????
  8. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure why I would want to buy one out of the crate from a dealer that operates that way. If they are misleading that way on demo's image what is happening on repair work, etc. Sounds like a "stay away from this dealer" story and not a "stay away from demo" story.

9. ScottH

ScottH LawnSite Member

As a rep of a good dealer, I think your comments are misleading and don't represent the vast majority of dealers out there. We do sell a number of demo units, very good discounts, with some hours on the machines. Customers have been very happy with the situation as they generally have gotten a bigger or better machine than they could have otherwise. We go over the machine, stem to stern, checking blades, belts, grease points and anything else pertinent to the particular unit. Anything other than normal wear is replaced, and the customer gets an opportunity to buy additional service parts at a discount.

I think your comments needed to be directed to "Dealer Honesty"
    If you know a dealer is doing stuff like disconnecting hour meters, then I would stay away from that dealer. What else might they be doing that isnt as easy to spot.