Dont hire friends or family

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by griffy77, Feb 9, 2008.

1. griffy77

griffy77 LawnSite Member

This will help you to avoid any problems down the road. You might have a good thing going with your brother or cousin then you guys get pissed off and its harder to have to fire family.

Thats a good tip from someone that went downt that road already.

Hire someone who wants a job and pay lowest price market will bare. Around here 7 bucks and tell em if they stick around you give em more. If you can find someone that will stick with you for more than a season I pay around 12 d and hr.

2. DaveinSWFL

DaveinSWFL LawnSite Member

I have to fire one of my employees this weekend. His family is a member of my church and I told my wife that I didn't think it would be a good idea since I would have to see his family a few times a week if it didn't work out. Against my better judgement I gave him a try. The first week he went above my expectations. I didn't have to ask him to do anything, he was one step ahead. We two not as good. week three, slacking, lazy & tired. Week four more of week 3. I have repeatly told him I wasn't happy with his lazy attitude. He has not turned it around. I will have a talk with him after church to let him go. I feel terrible because he has a wife and 1 month old baby. I have a business to run so I will be setting my personal feelings aside.
  3. jackedf150

jackedf150 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Depends on the person as well, we just hired my buddy as our other crew leader, he has alot of experience, and last year didnt go so well with the H2B program, so we decided to do away with them. So I hope it works out for all of us, It was a real headache last season. Lookin forward to '08
  4. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I let me brother and a friend work for me when Im busy or need help. Both knew my mentality from the beginning and know I wont hesitate to do what I have to do or say what I have to say. I think you have to display that from the beginning.