1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Don't know where to start, or if it's smart...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by wannabemowing, Jun 2, 2008.

1. wannabemowing

wannabemowing LawnSite Member

Here is my situation, I am turning 20 at the end of the month and will be a junior in college this fall. I have a burning desire to start my own lawn care company. I work for a company doing lawn maintenance during the summer and LOVE it!! Being I have had to take out loans to pay for school I am will have roughly $30,000 in school loans once my junior year is finished. So give me your honest opinions on where I should start or if I shouldn't even bother. Being I would need a steady income at some point to pay back school loans it makes me want to get a start on a lawn care company now but I guess I don't know where to start or if I should even do it. Sorry for the long post, hope it all makes sense and I'm looking forward to everybody's opinions on this!! Thanks in advance.

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

stay in school
  3. wannabemowing

I should have mentioned that no matter what I will be completing school, I'm halfway done so it doesn't make sense to quit now so I'm not thinking of doing the lawn stuff in place of the schooling. I am thinking of starting the lawn thing part time since I am only in class a couple hours a day.
  4. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

whats your major in college?
  5. wannabemowing

Right now I am a business management major, but with me getting more and more serious about the lawn buisness I have been thinking of picking up some horticulture classes as well.
  6. ELC Lawn Care

ELC Lawn Care LawnSite Member

if you are serious about lawn care and owning your own business, then I suggest you finish your degree and add the horticulture classes. start small if you must,while in school with the goal of taking all your extra income and paying off those loans by the time you finish school. Be debt free leaving school and you will help diminish the pressure of growing fast to keep you head above water. If I had only had this advice 20 years ago myself!! Good luck.
  7. Dean of Green

Dean of Green LawnSite Senior Member

I say go for it. Just keep your eye on the ball, school. Start small with as little capital investment as possible. With being self employed you will be able to work around your class schedule with ease.
    good luck
  8. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

couldn't have said it better! do the job that your paying for college for! add those extra horticulture classes will only help in the long run! good luck and go for it!
  9. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Go for it!!!...good luck!!!
  10. wannabemowing

That is a great idea to use profits from the lawn service to pay off school loans, the loans are the only thing that are really making me nervous about getting going, but I guess I finish my degree and if all else fails I can still get a 9-5 job somewhere how boring though:)