Dont know where to start with Jap stiltgrass infestation

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by joelcoqui, Oct 7, 2011.

1. joelcoqui

joelcoqui LawnSite Member
    from NY

Where do I start? Should I dethatch or Barricade first. The Japanese stiltgrass is browning up on 1 acre residential property. Cant use Roundup, way to much renovating. It seems to be pulling up easy enough but cant hand pick cause its much to densely situated. Any suggestions?? Attached are pics. Thank you.

IMG_0001_6.jpg

2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Get yourself some fescue that grows by rhizomes. Keep it properly fertilized and it will out compete it next year.

3. joelcoqui

from NY

That grass doesnt feel plush and easy on bare feet. no?

4. dKoester

That grass is beautiful! It repairs itself.

5. Birdman

Birdman LawnSite Member
    from 6

Can you type me what type(s) of fescue grows by rhizomes so that I can get some?

Thanks

6. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Absolute BULL SHIAT

7. mdlwn1

I've had a MAJOR occurrence of it as well this year. In the woods...in the lawn...etc. To the OP. I will be using Barricade MUCH earlier next spring as I don't really know what else to do. Haven't had this happen to me in the 20 years I've been doing this. I can only wonder if it has to do with the deep snowpack the past two seasons. The other possibility is that Barricade doesn't deal with it like,.... eww Pre-M does?

8. joelcoqui

from NY

Would you dethatch before the Barricade?

9. mdlwn1

If I was looking to dethatch......yes I would, but you would be talking so early the grass might still be dormant.

10. dKoester

Is this a joke? Should I dig you up some with pics? I got lots of it. I could show you the Rhizomes and all. I'll even wash the roots so you can get a real good look at awesomeness. Hope you were kidding. its a computer I can't tell if you were being sarcastic.