Don't know where to start?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by haulinggrass, Mar 12, 2006.

1. haulinggrass

haulinggrass LawnSite Member

I want a simple small 4' x 6' gold fish pond. Can I make it 12" deep? Do I need a pump? I know they are basic questions, but I can improve it next year. Thanks for any input or direction.

2. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I would suggest going bigger and deeper. If you are wanting fish...I believe it needs to be in the 30" - 3' depth range. I would also recommend starting off with a skimmer. It will help keep it much cleaner.

3. haulinggrass

Thanks, I see I need to learn more just to ask a good question. Maybe I can learn with a bog bed? Thanks

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yes you need to go deeper if you want fish and yes you need a curculating pump and a filter.Use the search feature at the almost top of the page.First thing you have to do is pick a site..not under trees or over electrical or sewer or water lines..You can call a toll free # for the elect co and they will come out and mark the lines underground for you.and where you can see and enjoy it of course.Then start digging your hole..sloping the sides..then post up some pics and we will tell you the next steps or give you more instructions..you will need a shovel,hard rake.a good pond liner,sand and big stones and a few larger ones and a few boulders,a good filter and a pump.And water.............

5. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

If you'd like to have a nice long talk about your pond, PM me your phone number and I'll answer any questions you have about building your pond.

Vic

6. haulinggrass

Thanks for the help. I have a site next to my house. It is a inside corner area.
    All that is their now is red clay. I think this year I will just start with a bog plant bed. Do bog plants go in water? I was thinking of just digging down and putting in a rubber liner I have and then back fill with the clay. I will try to post some picks of the area so you can help me plain it. Thanks again!:dancing:

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

yes that what bog plants do.If you have water just sitting though you will have to have some misquito control