Don't laugh but is this trailer okay?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by soloscaperman, Mar 4, 2008.

1. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

I started my business last fall and I have about 6 accounts. Lowes sells this trailer and was wondering that if I get more lawns and I upgrade trailers down the road and from a 2003 Exmark 48 inch to a Exmark riding mower will it fit? Will I have problems with my Chevy 1500 1994 with a level kit and off roadng tires. What height hitch?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=145557-15476-4X6XG&lpage=none

Thanks guys, I know its a small trailer but I think its smart starting small and slow so there is no over head and payments. I will prolly never sell my walk behind because I'm the second owner and the first was an older guy that waxed it and put tire shine on it, lol. This 15HP walk behind is mint. Plus we save our favorite things like our weed wackers and street bikes and your fav car, lol.

2. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

Seriously what ever it takes but IMHO i would not buy that trailer,i would be afraid of it breaking down or not being big enough,im sure for another few hundred dollors you can find a nice used trailer.

3. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

I never slander anyone on here. I believe if you call local trailer dealers you can find better, stronger, sometimes cheaper prices then shopping big box stores...also never buy any trailer with mesh floor bad idea...!

4. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

But if I buy this trailer it will only be for two years and not alot of highway use. Max weight isn't that much but its good for my walkbehind. I would say this trailer is able to handle 55MPH-60MPH on the highway.

5. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

I personally would go find a used one. But the feeling I get is that your mind is made up already. Good luck to you! :clapping:

6. American_Lawn

American_Lawn LawnSite Member

That is what I had last season without the ramp. The mesh sucks. Look on craigslist for a used one. I highly recommend it. If you get that you will wish you didnt. Dont waste your money. I had to replace my floor with 2 layers of mesh after a few weeks of mowing. BEWARE!!!!! Try and get atleast a 5x8 or 5x10. Trust me....

7. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen that exact trailer in person, checked it out, it's weak ...you didn't mention size of walk-behind. Anyways the wire mesh floor isn't a floor period, it will buckle under load sooner or later probably, within the year...

8. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

just cut a piece of plywood and bolt it to the mesh, if you leave it be, the mesh will eventually start to bend and you will have a dip in between the support bars...

-i see your from the area solo. There is a trailer store in Bpt on Main St by St. Vincents Hospital. owner seems like a nice guy, we stopped there 1 time to ask him about fixing the trailer. his prices seemed reasonable.

9. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

If that is all you can afford its OK for a walk behind not sure about the rider just cause its rated for 1650 that is a max you don't want to be up there if you want it to last

10. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I think I would pass. 1: its built cheaply. 2: It looks to be too small and you would likely out grow it quickly.

The 12" tires are OK for jet ski trailers, not really useful for utility trailers.