Don't like my Exmark 21"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bullet481, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Bullet481

Bullet481 LawnSite Member

First day out with the mower and very disappointed. I don't think it cuts any better than my $400 Personal Pace Toro I wanted to replace. The grass was a little tall, but why should there be blades of grass still standing? It wasn't alot but still...... I had to double cut the lawn. Mower is back at shop now. Trying to see how I can get out of it. Looks like I'm going to eat a 20% restocking fee. I am honestly thinking about just getting a 32". Am I just biased against anything other than a true walk behind. I cut with an Exmark 48" belt drive and Walker 48" GHS. Is it I'm just to use to the cut the larger machines produce?

2. sslopok

sslopok LawnSite Member

Wow I don't think I would eat a 20% restocking fee. Put it on ebay and get almost all of your money back. Did you sharpen the blades before you took it on its maiden voyage? They are not all that sharp from the factory. I am going to make sure I demo everything from now on after reading some of the stories on here.
    good luck with the dealer.
    sslopok

3. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Sharpen the blade and see what happens. That shouldn't happen unless it's the wrong blade or it's the blade's not right. GL

4. Bullet481

Im afraid the very few blades I saw I might be making too big a deal. But why should I be seeing any right?

5. Bullet481

I did not sharpen the blade before I used it.

6. TheC-Master

TheC-Master LawnSite Senior Member

I have one and mine cuts great and fast, I did a lawn with it in under ten minutes, Even with a WB you can go over something twice if you go super fast and cut super low on a high speed... but the higher the deck and the slower you got the more thorough the cut. It doesn't have the power of my TTHP, but is is still a great mower.

7. markahurley

markahurley LawnSite Senior Member

so you're saying your 21" doesn't have the power of your tthp WB? really? :hammerhead:

8. TheC-Master

TheC-Master LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, who woulda thunk?

9. Bullet481

Had the mower back to the dealer. They sharpened the blade and adjusted the rpm's, said they were to low. I took it out and once again it still left some blades of grass. After much complaining to dealer they have waived the restocking fee. I have completely had it with the 21"s. I am upgrading to a Exmark 32" belt drive. It will fit all my gated backyards and apparently the blades from my 48" are interchangeable as well as my bagger I already have. If any new accounts come along and the 32" cant fit, the customer can either modify the gate or I will pass.

10. Icepuck72

Icepuck72 LawnSite Senior Member

I have no idea why people spend so much money on a 21" mower...I've had a HD Troy Built for 5 years now (6.5 hp), and it's a bullet sponge.

Put that extra money into a walk-behind or something....