Don't Like The Lines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rich's Lawn Care, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

has anyone had a customer tell you they don't like the strips?

i had a customer tell me today that they don't want the lines on there grass. so what do i do?
  2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Hey Rich, I had a lady tell me the same thing last year, I told her that all the "rich" people in town loved them, she said I guess I kind of like them (ha ha). can you lift the roller on your striping kit??
  3. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

hey jeff,i can lift the roller and i'm going to try that next week.

i told the lady that eveyone likes the strips and she said i'm not everyone.:mad:

so next week i'm going to drive all over the place and see if she likes that.:D
  4. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

Mow her yard in circles, going forward all the time instead of turning at the end of each row. I think thats why most lawns that the average homeowner cuts isn't striped, cause you can't zero turn a garden tractor and they always are forced into mowing in circles.
  5. Lawn Lizards

Lawn Lizards LawnSite Member

They are on crack if they would rather not have lines in their yard. Rich, I think you have a good idea. See how she likes it if you just drive aimlessly.
  6. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I think theres a difference between "lines" and Stripes. Lines are what you get no matter what you do(from wheels, cutting etc). Stripes, from what I've gathered, are made because of attachments on the mower (Re:The roller). Its just getting back to the same old argument, not everyone likes stripes. Personally, I dont but obviously theres a market over there for them, but you should be able to go both ways, so to speak to keep everyone happy!
  7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I did a lawn a couple of weeks ago with a backup mower that the steering is a little loose on and I need to play with to get the adjustments right, and my "stripes" weren't very straight in a couple of spots. I apologized for that to the customer and got a "huh?" and when I explained it he looked at me like I was crazy for even caring. Some folks just want it cut w/o leaving clumps or uncut spots. Pretty expensive home, too.
  8. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

:p :p :p :p
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have one particular guy that doesn't like the stripes in the back yard, but likes them in the front yard...go figure
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Just cut it in circles. Honestly, both of you will likely be happier. The customer gets the carpet look they want, and this make your job quicker and more productive.

I for one love the stripes! But I think it's counter productive and is harder on the grass from all the turning. I still stripe all my accounts though....

Go figure!!! I luv them stripes!!!!