Don't move to NC

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BrandonV, Feb 8, 2008.

1. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

hey guys, well things in my immediate area aren't as bad as it is in Raleigh, frankly because we don't have the % of high income irrigated houses but anyways the green industry in the Research Triangle sounds like it might as well take the year off. NO WATERING. Of course this is largely driven by a high % of hippies, but also because of the hack sprinkler jobs out there, something like 36% of the areas fresh water goes to irrigation (mostly lawns and such) but I really feel for the guys there, no annuals, less mowing etc... why invest in irrigation? Its mostly due the the unbridled pop growth in that area, no new lakes in recent years too. But come on its spring, of course the weather guys are saying another long dry summer... but of course they said last year it would be the "worst hurricane season ever" and we didn't get a one, so I'm thinking of investing in flood insurance.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2395771/

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

At least, you've got ROTAR.

3. BrandonV

haha I'll make it through ok, regardless. fortunately our part of the state is clay soil so we need less water than the sandier regions.

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

The hard core ALWAYS makes it through!:clapping:

5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

sprinkler repair is where its at baby, not installs.

6. BrandonV

true, but if no one is running them... why repair

7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

The worst part of this is the city brought this on all by themselves. They got too greedy for the water revenues and just couldn't stop the cash flow until it was too late.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We got about the same situation regarding cranking down on watering. Ours also driven by environmental people who wouldn't allow the city to build new water pump station so now we have to conserve. And in our case we got plenty of water in the lakes and pass it on down stream so it is lost money for the city.

9. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll be honest, the drought seems to be hurting a bunch of people and companies, but I just bought another truck to add this year. I've picked up quite a few new office complexes and am branching out to neighboring areas. I'm not going to let it slow me down. I'm being proactive, knocking on doors, and finding more work. The install side will be slower (even though it's not yet) but the maintenance will still be here.

Wait until after the drought, everything will need to be replaced (plants and grass)!!!

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Soooooo.... my warnings that irrigation is a dead end business doesn't seem far fetched anymore....... :cry: