Don't oil the foam pre-filter??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Nov 2, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Was doing some service work today on the 52/23Kaw. When I cleaned the foam filter on the aor filter it reminded me that I think I heard or read recently, that Kaw is reommending we no longer oil the foam prefilter on the air filter. Cam't remember where I read/heard this. Anyone else not oiling the foam element?? thanks

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Um, if you didn't oil it, wouldn't it allow all sorts of crap to get through?

3. PRO PROPERTY CARE

PRO PROPERTY CARE LawnSite Member

neither one of my kawi motors have the pre filtre oiled. They werrent done from the fact. so I never bothered.... They have been serviced at the dealer too , and they never oiled them...

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There is no doubt that an oiled pre-element stops more debris from reaching the filter than an unoiled one. It's all up to you, I guess. I've bought several pieces of equipment that didn't have grease in all the fittings that were supposed to also, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to maintain it properly just because that's the way the "factory" guys worked that day.

5. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I had my 19hp Kaw. in for service and the dealer didn't oil the pre cleaner. I do and it traps alot of dirt , especially using it for leaf cleanups. I don't know if I'm right but where does the dirt go if the oil doesn't trap it. Matt

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I just talked to the local exmark dealer and watched him as he oiled a foam filter for a unit. when I asked, he told me to always do the same.

personally...for the ole lesco...I have always oiled the foam with WD-40. it seems effective and washes out nicely with the dirt.

GEO

7. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I did notice in the owner's manual for the lc 25hp kaw that it said not to oil the pre-filter ... I don't have a lot of respect for kawasaki anyhow when it comes to their service, so I wouldn't put it past them to try to wear the engines out quicker. I'm no fan of their proprietary air filters, either.

8. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

We had a good discussion on this topic in the Exmark forum in the Spring. In the Exmark manual it said to oil, but in the Kawi manual it said not to.

9. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

I know on my Redmaxx blowers , when you take the air filter cover off It says do not oil filter. I have the Donaldson air filter on the Zs 23 Kawa and 25 Kawa , There is no pre filter to oil on them , But i always oil the foam on the metros 12.5 hp . Chris

10. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't you love those manuals which say to do something a certian way but dont explain why. It seems so easy just to list "why" you shouldnt do what make perfect sense. The only thing I can figure is some guy must have soaked one in motor oil and put it on dripping wet.