"dont pass out flyers"

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by plantzpropertymanagement, Apr 8, 2006.

1. plantzpropertymanagement

plantzpropertymanagement LawnSite Member

passed out a thousand flyers with a buisness card attached to it which cost me 110.00 plus gas got 2 little spring clean-up's that only payed me 115.00 so i really lost out which sucks oh well just wont do that any more.

2. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

u didnt loose out, your getting ur name out there, not everyone will call at once. give it more time

3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

it just depends how your flyers are designed. we passed out 5000 and get 4 calls a day, not just calling, but signing up for year long service. we have 4 different art, sign, and print shops to do all our design, signs, and advertising. ideas get passed around and improved upon before anything final is made. everyone always says, our ads are the best in area.

10,000 flyers, 2 sided, full color, glossy cost us $440. 3 of the shops worked together on the design and one of the shops printed them. its called consolidation, my friend, and it is the future.

4. plantzpropertymanagement

plantzpropertymanagement LawnSite Member

I guess well see what happens

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I know it, you don't gotta tell me, I did it for a long time and keep trying to tell the guys...

But, it does work and for some, it's the only thing.

As for me, we have some small newspapers where I put an ad but it's not cheap: $85 / week adds up quick but every 85 spent gets me 8-10 new calls during peak, less at other times, sometimes nothing during the off months. Far as how much comes in vs. what I spend, I do not know, I just write them a check once I get the money in the bank - That's how good it is, I can wait to pay until I have done the work, deposited the check, and then another week or so but I do my best to pay them fast because you would, too.
    But that's me, in my town... Had some guys talk about they got nothing in their town, so do a trial-run or something, see what works.

Never a complaint from anyone considers it litter, and I don't gotta do nothing but answer the phone, give estimates, and do yard work.

Well ok I got to help design the ad but the people at the paper are smart because that is what they do, and between me and them, the ad rocks in 20-30 minutes of blablabla.

Other than that I don't deal with it and I love it.
    p.s.: For a paper ad, use your current flyer as something to go by, it will help. No it's not the same thing, but it helps.
    As you can see, designing the flyer is not a total waste, you still need it :)

6. Madstriper

Madstriper LawnSite Member

I was at the printer this week, and they had heavy card stock hangers, with a magnetic business card at the bottom for about $1.32 each. Anyone try these? Seems very expensive for a part-time (till next year hopefully) LCO.

7. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

I pass out 1000 flyers and picked up 20 new customers the next day. When I get my website up and going, I'll show you guys how you can do it too. Of course it aint FREE

8. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Keep putting them out. The more people that know about you the better.

9. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

The only problem with flyers is not too professional, plus everybody and thier brother does it that legit and non legit. We have never once handed out flyers doorhangers or anything and have done yellow pages, newspapers, newsletters, and our own direct mail marketing schemes and do much better than what i hear on here.

10. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I'm still getting calls on flyers from last spring. Took 2 months to start getting a good callback rate. They tack them on their refrigerator and call when they're ready. Flyers work.:usflag: