Dont Read This

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by horizonmowing, Sep 3, 2006.

1. horizonmowing

horizonmowing LawnSite Member

OK, now that your reading this, :) maybe you can answer my question. Currently I do lawn care i.e. mowing, fall cleanups, plowing but I am thinking of adding seal coating next year. I'm gunna do it right, spray it, and I may be able to make more doing that then the lawn care. Now to my ?. Do you think I should ADD this as a service to my company, or should I put this under a different company name. Seal Coating and Lawn Care don't really seem to have any similarities other then they are both outside. What do you all think? THANKS!

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

present it to your current and possible other customers first before starting some whole new thing, if it seems to really be working out, then make the switch.

3. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Thats a GREAT IDEA!!!:clapping: :clapping: A guy just cam ethrough my comunity and cleaned up!!! He must have gotten atleast a 1/4 out of like 2500 houses. I would let your customers know and then make a new business name for it. Great idea and its not expensive he had 2 trucks and pickup for estimates and a box truck with a spry rig inside, he only had 3 workers.

4. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

spray applications i've seen haven't been worth a damn..........still could see the painted lines for parking after the application!

why not just go to w-mart and get a can of black spray paint, all it did was cosmetics

even jobs that it was put "thick" was still thin

i've always rolled..........goes down thick and does the job right, most customers are morons so all they need to see is a fresher looking drive to be happy

for me.......roll > spray

5. horizonmowing

Spraying beats rolling hands down. Like anything else, it just has to done right for it to come out well.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

ttthomass...gee did not expect to read that coming from you..that most customers are morons.
    I beg to differ and disagree with you on that topic.
    In my view, most customers are NOT moronic, they are people just like you and I. They just happen to not have the time, means or youth to do things on their properties so they hire it done.
    Remember always my good man that without people who need us, professions like ours are non-existent.
    If you have the mindset that most customers are morons, well that is going to show up in your dealing and relations with them..sooner or later.
    I treat all my customers as if they are Nobel Prize winners, regardless if they act moronic or not.

7. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i think it would be a source of winter work here and i'm planning on trying to upsell it to existing customers. but i will be doing the rolling thing. check out the seal coating forum, there is lots of good info there.

8. murray83

murray83 LawnSite Senior Member

rolling is best to start out it takes longer that a spray rig but its cheaper at first.avoid those kits you see on ebay for around a grand,pure junk they seem to last maybe 1 season.

striping small lots are money makers too,the total property maintenance combo for your commercial customers (mow,plow snow,sweep,stripe and seal coat)

9. horizonmowing

I plan on using the pickup truck version that seal-rite offers. If i have the money i figure why not.