Don't read this!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by phasthound, Jan 22, 2009.

1. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

I know this does not apply to turf, yeah right.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/01/22/study.forests.dying/index.html

Take it seriously. Our ancestors (kids & grand kids) will think better of us if we act on this knowledge and do whatever we can to slow this down.

There really is no reason we cannot continue with our chosen profession and reduce the impact we have on our environment.

Everything is connected to everything else. Everything we do has consequences. This is not a doomsday prophesy, but a wake up call for all of us to improve what we do in our personal lives and professions.

PS, I am a pragmatist not a "left wing tree hugger". It's not about "saving the planet". The planet will survive, will our lifestyles?

I'm glad I'm 57, not 27.

2. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Oh you poor man. You've been sucked into the abyss...

3. he has crossed over.

4. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

OK ... I did what I wasn't told to do ... I read half of the article !! :laugh: :laugh:

5. phasthound

Well then, please enlighten me. How wrong is the scientific community? Why shouldn't we look to improving what we do? Using products that require less oil & natural gas to produce? Conserving energy rather than producing more? Importing less raw materials? Getting the same results while using less? Depending more on American know how and resources than the global economy?

I'm open to all suggestions.

6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

It's not that they're wrong. It's that they're spinning the story - only giving the portion of data that lends credence to their apocalyptic woes.

You could take any random stat out there and easily write an article about how it's a major issue... when NOT taking into account all the other data that exists.

7. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I wish I could say that I am hopeful that the human race will change their lifestyles to repair some of the damage that we have done to the earth. Very few (maybe 1 or 2%) of the people that I encounter would actually change the way they live to reduce their impact on the environment. Sure everybody says they want to protect the environment but when it comes time to do something (e.g. buying locally grown food, reducing the size of their lawn, biking to the store, paying a little extra for sustainable products or made in The USA products) about it nothing happens.

8. RABBITMAN11

RABBITMAN11 LawnSite Bronze Member

Cnn they are always truthful! :hammerhead:

9. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

Give me a break! the earth has had drastic differences in it's temperature(s) from the beginning of its existance.. Which is a lot longer than 10,000 years... some of these changes were theorised to have wiped out a large portion of life on earth. And how long have humans been emiting CO2? a hunded or two years? What about solar activity? or maybe the fact that the CO2 evidence is inconclusive... A large part of the time, CO2 levels rise AFTER the warming trend.

Yeah... you're right.. it's all your fault, and the only way to 'save the planet' is to join a cult like religion.

Yes. a religion. You have Prophets who fortell the future. You have recruitment drives to 'save' non-believers (such as this very blog) You have titheing (what do you think carbon credits are?) You have a God... the earth is what you blindly worship. You have FAITH that the worlds warming is humans fault. Faith that does not require proof.. remember.. the debate is over... I don't recall there ever being one...?

You have a mission that is never ending, requires ultimate devotion and the results of your efforts will never be measured, or considered.. it is enough to simply try.. right?

You idiots. The global 'warming' thing was invented by polititians. It's a tool of control. Welcome to the herd.

10. phasthound