Dont seal it???????????????????

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by 21eagle, Sep 17, 2010.

1. 21eagle

21eagle LawnSite Member

Whats up with some asphalt companies telling there customers to never get there driveways sealed??????????????

2. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

The driveway at my house is 45 years old. Never sealed. I really dont see the point. Many do seal their drives here. It wears off in a year. I wonder how many times you could repave with all the money people dump into sealing?

3. salopez

salopez LawnSite Senior Member

paving co.s dont make money when you seal....

4. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

All depends on the area where you live in, In Canada, I would believe you that your asphalt is 45 years old and still in good shape, the asphalt back 45 years is not the same as the new ones. New asphalt here is made with lots of sand and very little tiny rocks, so they tend to crack just after 2 years.

like salopez said, they tell you not to seal it so it will oxidize faster and crack faster so they can repave it again.

5. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

That may be true in your area. Here, they mix per order. Your not going to save money putting in smaller stone. The proper way to pave is in 2 layers. A base mix and then a top driveway mix. Some of the problems you mention are from a weak base or a single layer.

6. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Problem in our area is heaving from freezing.

7. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

we get cold here as well. Probably not to your extreme though. So i cant comment on that. I do know how to prevent that here. Proper grading and base material. Heaving is from water. Water should not be in the base. But like i said it probably different up there. How much frost do you get up there? Our frost line is supposedly 42 inches. I have never in all my years digging in the winter seen more then 6 inches and it was only that deep because there was no snow cover. What is typical for frost depth up there?

8. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

Lol, frost dept in Canada can reach 72inches. The asphalt here in Ontario is not the same, company's are cutting it down for residential driveways. Most people are only getting their asphalt pave in 1 layer at 1" 1/2 or sometimes 2", with lots of sand and very little rocks, that is not strong enough to survive the winters. Even if it has a good base of 18", its not enough. Some of the old asphalt that is 15-20 years + were made with 24" of base and 4" inches compacted of asphalt that contain bigger rocks and less sand. I know this because I do business with asphalt company's in my area.

9. tdmsealcoating

tdmsealcoating LawnSite Member

Obviously, if pavers be recommending their customers to seal their driveways every year their pockets be empty. The truth is , its cheaper to maintain your existing pavement, then to repave it.

www.tdmsealcoating.com

10. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

no its not. To repave a typical drive here its about 4g. To seal it? $800? so 5 years of sealing.