Dont seal it???????????????????

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by 21eagle, Sep 17, 2010.

1. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

It's very different in very area, but the reason here in Canada they don't seal the highway, roadways is:

1)- They wouldn't let cars on for at least 48 hours for the drying time, this would be a headache with a lot of traffic going on.

2)- It would be very expensive to seal the highways/ roadways (but very little compared to paving.

3)- Roadways and highways are made with a much thicker base and thicker asphalt, they are compacted way more than residential driveways

*In short the asphalt for highways and roadways are made to LAST, good highways will be able to survive 30+ years in Canada with the harsh winter and salt we have. They build them very tough to survive traffic and heavy duty use.

Residential driveways are not the same, they are build way more cheap. Most driveways here that are 800 sq.foot will cost about 3gs to pave, and about 200$ to seal every 2-3 years.

residential driveways here have: 12inches of base, with 1-2 inches of asphalt compacted.

True fact: The 417 (one of the big highways in Ontario) has 24inches of base, with 6 layers of 2inches of heavy duty compacted asphalt.

That's why they don't bother sealing it because the asphalt is made to last, although they still do fix the cracks as some point.

2. JFGauvreau

You don't need to seal every year, but the problem your talking about moisture is actually cause by some homeowner who seal every year with those buckets that you buy and they roll it on themselves. Those buckets are usually acrylic or latex, which is a paint that sits on top of the driveways. If you put to much of a thick layer, it will in fact suffocate your driveway. Every time the driveway expand and contract, it doesn't do that at the same temperature as the acrylic or latex that is on top, therefor it will crack even fast.

3. 21eagle

21eagle LawnSite Member

where did you come up with these numbers???? sealing 10-15 cents a square, asphalt 4$ a sq to rip out and pave 2$ to pave average cost.

4. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

you wont get anybody to seal a 2000 sq ft drive for $300. But they will pave it for 4g. Even if you sealed every year for 15 years thats $4500 at $300 a seal. Its throwing money away.

5. 21eagle

21eagle LawnSite Member

im on long island and 15 cents a square is not bad. Maybe ill send you some cards and you could hand them out if noone will work for 15 cents a square lol

6. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Do a mailer over here.

7. JFGauvreau

Here an average driveway is 800sq foot. I charge 25 cents per square foot.

800sq/f X .25cents = 200$

I recommend sealing every 2 years.
    In 10 years (assuming the prices stays the same)

You will have done the sealing 5 times = 1000$
    New driveway can last 10 years but won't be the same as if you seal it every 2 years, guaranteed.

So, in 30 years, you will have sealed it 15 times = 3000$

With no sealing over 30 years, you would at least have to repave twice= 6000$

8. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Thats a tiny driveway. The average drive here is about 2000sqf. so that wold be $500 to seal. 500-800 is the going rate here. do that every 2 years for 15 years? About $4000. The price to repave. I just dont see why people waste their money and then have to pave anyway.

9. StratfordSealing

StratfordSealing LawnSite Member

I dont see the point in paying someone to cut my lawn but you dont see me over on your forum yapping about it, if you dont think its worth it dont get it done. Do you really think if it was as pointless as you make it sound that so many people would get it done?

10. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Is that all you can add? Lawns grow and need maintenance. My unsealed driveway is from 1963 and still fine. I have never seen a driveway only last 10 years and very few people seal their driveways here. Sorry, i dont see the point. To make it look black?