Dont seal it???????????????????

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by 21eagle, Sep 17, 2010.

1. StratfordSealing

StratfordSealing LawnSite Member

I could add alot more but whats the point, you are obviously trolling so keep at it.

2. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

glad you shared such wisdom.

3. StratfordSealing

StratfordSealing LawnSite Member

Np, glad I could help, let me know if you need a quote for your driveway.

4. miked9372

miked9372 LawnSite Member

5. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

6. truseal

truseal LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

You have got to be kidding me..here in Ohio a 2000 sq ft drive we would charge max $200....

7. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Not here. Although the average home here costs $350,000 and up. Everything is expensive here.

8. omniplayer

omniplayer LawnSite Member

A driveway that costs $4,000 to pave should not cost $800 to seal. It should be around $300-$400 depending on the condition. Also is the $4,000 pave job a rip out and replace or is it an overlay? Lastly, a driveway doesn't need to be sealcoated more than 2-5 years in between coats so the five times sealed could span 25 years.

9. wnwniner

wnwniner LawnSite Member

I run construction for the local government. We do "seal" our roads, but what we use is significantly different than what you can get at the hardware store or from a local contractor who will do your driveway. Each product has different properties and purposes. As previosuly mentioned, sealing a road does cause a problem with traffic-you have to let it dry for a while. In addition, it does not last as long as resurfacing (plane and overlay or mill and fill-removing the top layer of asphalt and replacing it) and causes more headaches for traffic (again, staying off of it for long enough to let it dry), so its not always worth it.

Instead of sealing a driveway with a seal coat or coal tar sealer, newer driveways should be sealed with a rejuvinator. This type of product actually replinishs some of the properties of the actual asphalt binder that are lost during the mixing and placement of the material, as well as being lost from the weather.

The most important thing in road or drive construction is the base-it must be firm and able to drain extra mositure.

10. omniplayer

omniplayer LawnSite Member

What's wrong with America? This is! We seal roads and entire developments. They drive on them 4 hours later. It's called technology. As far as professional grade products go, if you were using them you would have never mentioned store bought products. Every asphalt professional knows that they are made for homeowners who want to do it themselves and not pay out. IE plastic asphalt tampers at lows! As far as rejuvenators are concerned you are talking about oil based products to re-saturate the asphalt. This is 50 year old tech that does't work unless you do it at least 2-3 times a year since it only takes 3-6 months for the oils in asphalt to dry out due to the suns UV rays. According to your logic it's easier to replace or put a bandage on it that will obviously fail. But the underlying problem isn't't addressed because it's a lack of maintenance. It's a huge part of the reason why this country is so messed up when it concerns infrastructure. If you have a car you have to maintain it or pay for a new one in 1-3 years. But if you do maintenance it can last 30. DO THE MATH!!