Dont tell me we arent running out of water

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by EagleLandscape, Mar 1, 2009.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Went camping in the LBJ Grasslands up near Denton this weekend. Beautiful place. All creeks and lakes have all dried up, with the exception of a few. Burn ban in effect.

All in all, great trip. Wind was 40mph+ for alot of the day, got down to 24 degrees last night. Couldnt feel my feet this morning.

SDC10701.jpg

SDC10702.jpg

SDC10703.jpg

SDC10704.jpg

SDC10705.jpg

2. EagleLandscape

more.........

SDC10706.jpg

SDC10707.jpg

SDC10708.jpg

SDC10709.jpg

SDC10710.jpg

3. EagleLandscape

last 2........

SDC10711.jpg

SDC10712.jpg

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Jeez, it looks dry down there. Nice double boot shot.

5. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Nice boots. 2x.

6. EagleLandscape

7. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

8. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

I remember back in '93 or '94 when we had a bad dry spell also. I was doing title work at the time and driving around Texas a lot. There was a lake in North Texas that essentially dried up, not a small lake either, a pretty large impoundment. Lake Houston and Lake Conroe were something like 15 or 20 feet below flood level, Lake Travis had boat ramps that you could see the end of and still had another 20 or 30 yards to get to the waters edge. Then things recovered and everything filled back up. Then we had another dry spell somewhere in 1999 - 2001 and it all happened again. Those ponds, lakes and creeks will get back to normal eventually when it starts to rain again, and eventually it will start to rain.

9. EagleLandscape

Lake Lavon.

Apparently our Governor (Rick Perry) declared he is going to start building reservoirs again in Texas. Something that really hasnt been done in 20 years. Wonder if it's going to work this time around...

10. dlee1996

dlee1996 LawnSite Member

Talking about building a reservoir and getting a reservoir are 2 different things. You get the tree huggers involved and it will take 20 years to get a lake completed. Water is getting tighter and tighter. We have the same water we have always had. The population keeps going up and the water is used quicker than mother nature can replenish it. We are really hurting her in Texas with this dry winter we have had. Sure hope come Spring we get some good floods.

It has been probably 5 years since I have been out to the grasslands. I used to live in Newark and would hit the grasslands 3 times a month. Caught lots of fish out of them ponds up there.