Don't touch GoDaddy with a ten foot stick

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by PaperCutter, Mar 29, 2013.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

my cousin hosts my server. iv loaded quicken and quickbooks onto it so i have a live instant backup aswell as hosting my site. only 5 bucks a month

2. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Hmm, it seems to load fine from my pc, I'll have to try at some friends and see, also the mobile site seems to be fine too. I'm not getting much new business from my website anyways, its just one of those things you have to have in this day and age. Am I thrilled with Godaddy NO, but for a non-techy guy on a budget it fits the bill. Hopefully people will stop using it and then mine will speed up, lol.

3. birddseedd

I do not see how that many sites on one ip itself is a big deal. if that ip leads to a load balancing server to many web servers and there is enough bandwidth to cover the data rate then it should perform well. This is how stack overflow works it, using just 6 or so ms servers and a few linux load balancing servers they cover some 800 hits per second.

not defending godaddy just discussing

4. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

This is probably because it's cached on your PC. My saying that your background image is too big, especially for what it is, isn't an opinion. The clouds are just in the wrong format for the type of image (.png vs .jpg), which is an easy fix. You could accomplish a similar visual at 10-15% of that size, making a better user experience for every type of device. Your total home page weight is almost 4MB.

(Just ran the clouds through Photoshop and took it to 8% of the source image.)

5. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

I get that you're not defending GoDaddy, but you're point isn't their reality. You can also mow 50 lawns a week with a Craftsman push mower or you can use the stackoverflow's Exmark Lazer Z. You can assemble your Sunday Best outfit at Walmart or you can go to Brooks Brothers. The simplest of benchmarks is the issues I see with their WP installs. If someone here asks for a review, and the domain loads slowly, I can guess it's on GoDaddy. If I see that it's a WP site loading slowly, if I guessed it's a GoDaddy site, I'm probably right 90% of the time.

I use the IPs as an easy explanation that would make sense to most people because, with GoDaddy, it is symptomatic of their overarching problems. I'll be happy to crank it up so you, Greg, and I can have a one on one on one nerd talk. :)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  6. locallawncare.ca

from Ontario

Thanks for the input, I'll see what I can do to make the background image less megabytes, I wish I was more technologically inclined, thanks.

7. birddseedd

whoever built your site can do that. or email it to me and i can drop the file size. easy as cake. sounds like that other guy already did it too

8. locallawncare.ca

from Ontario

Not sure how to send it, its one of those pre-determined background images from go-daddy, I can change. Not sure how to send it, thanks.

9. birddseedd

what is the webiste?

10. locallawncare.ca

from Ontario

Its www.locallawncare.ca if you could somehow re-size it or whatever that would be great, I never worried too much about my website before, but now I am wondering about the performance and such.