1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dont trust internet sites for lot sizes!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by EliteImpressions, Apr 16, 2008.

1. EliteImpressions

EliteImpressions LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I have been using sites like zillow.com to give people estimates without having
    to drive to their house. Well, I get a call yesterday and I check the site and it says the lot is 8k. So minus the house, patio and driveway Im looking at about 6k. I bid $30 since I think it would take 30 minutes max. Well I get hired and go to mow it today. The lot is more like 17k after I subtract everthing. So it takes almost 3 times the amount of time I thought.

Now I have to explain why my price is skyrocketing. More than likely I will lose him.
  2. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

In the future, tell the customer that you are using sites like that to get an idea of their lot size and tell them that it MAY be the price if everything is correct when you get out to their property. It doesnt hurt to ask the customer if X-sq feet sounds about right to them.

I've had the same thing happen. But since I saw that it might happen some day I just called the customer and said, hey, this doesnt match up, and everything was cool.

Good luck.
  3. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

Also, try using a more reliable site like your local appraisal district's web site.
  4. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

try this

You can do the birds eye view and see very detailed pictures in my area. In one picture I could even see into the guys garage well enough to tell what kind of cars were in there. You can see slopes, fences, beds and just about everything you would need to see.
  5. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

That's what I have been using and it has been doing great so far.
  7. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

We use Google Earth and local tax map websites, but 95% of the time we go and take a look at the actual property.
  8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Why Not just go to the job site, meet the customer, look the site over and give them a bid ?

this way it saves a lot of eating crow
  9. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I use my cities property assessment website but even that doesn't include extra lawn due to passive park and city blvds.
  10. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for posting this link! It will come in handy