don't understand it.

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by techgeek, Nov 1, 2010.

1. techgeek

techgeek LawnSite Member

i bid on a job for 4 houses for overseeding and aerating. i bid $260 it was half an acre for each house. now he had bids that came in between $150 and $318. I think you've guessed which one he picked. If not it was the $150 guy. Then he tells me "he even included lime application." immediately i say to myself that i hope he tested the soil or else it was a waste almost. But i don't understand for overseeding just the seeds cost a little under 50 bucks a bag for a 50lbs bag. thats good seeds mixed for this area. ugh pisses me off.

2. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

You sometimes have to sell yourself and explain the job to the client. There is no way you can do a quality job for $150.00 and make money.

3. techgeek

techgeek LawnSite Member

yeah, i spend about 2 days going back and forth with him over e-mail explaining everything to him. im definitely keepings this dudes address to see his lawn in the spring.

4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

@ 4 pounds per 1000 thats 100lbs...

he's getting cheated somewhere...I would imagine its on the seed qty...

5. techgeek

techgeek LawnSite Member

thats the first thing that came to mind. i can't imagine that he's laying down 4-6 per 1000. now i can't wait to see this guys lawn in spring.

6. MarcSmith

who are getting seed from? I paid 53 cents a pond from fisher

7. techgeek

techgeek LawnSite Member

Fisher? Im getting my seeds from Lesco at 83 cents a pound i believe it was.

8. MarcSmith

Fisher and son...301-585-3365

I go to lesco/JDL for emergency stuff only...

9. techgeek

techgeek LawnSite Member

thanks for the info Marc. I'll have to check them out. Lesco guys have always been great help and never had any issues.

10. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

There's aerating and there's aerating. Some of my local guys are cheap but then when you see their job, the cores are about 3/4 inch and spaced far apart.