Don't Use Ethanol Fuel

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GPDesign1, May 28, 2008.

1. GPDesign1

GPDesign1 LawnSite Senior Member

In case nobody has mentioned it in the last five minutes, Ethanol-blended fuel is GARBAGE! Don't put it in any piece of equipment that you care about...

With (admittedly) NO consideration for the 600 million small engines operating in America, our illustrious idiots in Washington have shoved ethanol fuel down our throats. As if 10% content wasn't bad enough, they're getting ready to raise it to 20%. This stuff separates like milk, soaks up water like a sponge, corrodes everything it touches and can "eat" rubber seals, needle-valve tips, fuel hoses, diaphragms, etc. It's a scourge.

Although not any cheaper than "real gas", you can expect your fuel consumption to be 15-25% higher on Ethanol blend. Now there's a good deal, huh? :confused:

As any good farm-boy knows, corn takes a LOT out of the soil. It's gotta be rotated pretty often with other crops or one will leave fields essentially inert. I'm all for finding alternatives to achieve energy independence, but this is a dumb way to go about it.

Perhaps these boneheads in Washington need to decide which they enjoy more; eating or driving. :hammerhead:

Good article on the effects of Ethanol (taken from OPE SmartBrief):

2. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

completely agree
  3. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I aggree, but what choice do we really have in the gas. Also is there any additives that can protect the engine ? As if fuel is not expensive enough now we have to find an additive to undo the garbage they put in it. What a world!
  4. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

I completely agree that ethanol blended fuels are bad for small engines, particularly 2 cycle.

I just don't have much choice; non-blended fuel has all but disappeared around here. I can't think of a single place I can go now to get fuel that isn't blended.
  5. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

i do not think the govt takes fuel for small engines into consideration,along with a lot of other thing they do not think about when they do this kind of crap.i am sure somewhere there is a fuel additive that will fix this that they do not want us to know about.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Look this whole thing with the petrol and the corn oil is just more ways the government has of subsidizing certain things while taking from others, farmers are the ones usually taking a beating, so now they get a bonus while we pay for it...

Now I didn't hear anyone complaining on the consumer end when it was the farmers taking it,
    but they have to run the fuel also and either way what choice do we have?
  7. GPDesign1

GPDesign1 LawnSite Senior Member

Just for the record, we don't sell or make a penny off of StaBil products, although we do give away a free sample with each new Quick mower.

We may however start offering this in the near future:

8. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

I agree. Ethanol is not all its cracked up to be. Yeah, we are to use it in our cars. It does damage to the engine, kills mileage, and you need to put additives into it in order to prevent damage. The gov't wants us to use alternative fuels, then develop engines that are made to run on ethanol. Brazil is completely oil independent because they make ethanol with sugarcane. If we can do that, it would be incredible. I remember seeing a guy use it in his sprint car engine, and he had no power whatsoever, and it always overheated, unlike methanol, which most sprint cars use, that burns cool.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Right, once again no problem from the consumer end but Brazil's sugarcane harvest is anything but green either. First they burn the fields to make it easier to harvest which creates a ton of pollution, but nobody says a word about that. Then the fields are harvested via manual labor, with machetes, in a tropical country.
    Dirty little secrets, but nobody rides for free and sugarcane is far from being a peachy solution too.
    Brazil did what they had to do, but their standard of living is different from ours as well.
  10. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

Open up the coast and Alaska for oil drilling, and the gas prices will drop signifigantly (the one in alaska is one of the largest oil reserves in the world). Remember that when you vote this year.