dont want to sound mean

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by exmark72, Jul 11, 2005.

1. exmark72

exmark72 LawnSite Member

i mow my neighbors lawn. the area is medium sized(30$ cut per cut) but a lot of the yard is dirt and sticks and is really bumpy. i would like ask them if they are going to be doing anything to it.and i would be able to do it for them meanly grass and mulch because it is killing my blades and arms. but i dont want to sound mean so how should i go bout asking them.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You don't ask them if "they" are going to do anything about it. You make a plan, and you OFFER to do it. Do this as a suggestion, and have prices ready with a plan to present to them. This is all part of upselling services, THIS is where you make your money, not mowing $30 lawns.

Never - never state a problem without having a solution for it. This holds true in ANY kind of employment or business. I hope this helps and good luck with it.

3. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with runner on this, come up with a plan, and present it to them with a reasonable price, they'll probably go for it. you just gotta know how to present it to them, and what to suggest for a solution for the problem. thats how we make our money, selling our ideas on peoples yards to help them improve the looks of their home or business.

4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Listen closely to this statement by Runner, this is a mouthful IMO

-Geoff

5. FFJSV

FFJSV LawnSite Member

I'm with Runner also. Come up with the soloution to the problem then present it to your neighbors. Explain to them how improving the landscape will enhance their propertiies curb appeal as well as the overall value. If they will not go for it then I would definately consider dropping them as a customer. Explain to them the poor condition of their grounds are damaging your very expensive equipment. It is nothing personal but if possible you would like to work with them.

To me I just can't see risking down time on damaged equipment for a single $30 driveway.

6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Great advice. At the time of every invoice I give all my clients a list of recomendations and the prices for these recomendations along with the corrective remedys. I focus this on rental properties I service where the owner is not always around to see whats up first hand. They seem to appreciate me watching out for them. They dont always buy but it shows I care about thier property. If all is good and well I let them know that too.

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

That is good advise. But it is also why I do not take on customers who I can see their property from where I live.........

I don't want neighbor problems...

Derek

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not disagreeing, either, thou I *do* make my money cutting 30-dollar lawns, that's my bread and butter. Mulch and all that other stuff is great side work, but nothing is as consistent, as repetitive and as profitable as grass-cutting: Just one 3,600 dollar wb + 300-dollar weed-eater + 400-dollar blower (4,300 dollar investment) grosses 60 thousand dollars in grass cuts by the time its useful life expires.
    Now that's just me.

I also have some other advice but it's for future yards of this type:
    Whenever I see a yard like that, I *may* (not always) add a 5-dollar bs fee. Yes, it is a bs fee all the way around but NO it is not designed to be a rip-off: I keep running tabs on this stuff and IF a customer is paying more than what it's worth (especially one of those yards), then once this extra adds up to 100 or 200 dollars (after couple of years, maybe 3), I plan a day trip over to their site and take care of some serious work at no charge to them.
    Meanwhile, even thou 100-200 doesn't really cover it, there will be other customers who will leave you before they reach this 2-3 year time-frame and that also helps pay for it.
    You have no idea what that does, sneak DAT up on der azz, LOL.