Don't You Just Love It!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rookiemower, May 9, 2004.

1. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

pull up to new customers house today and in the middle of the street is this peice os sh!t pushmower (critera 1980) anyhow i'm like WTF is that doing there, i start working on the lawn with my helper and as where finishing i see a young punk with no shirt eyeing the trailor i walk towards it and the i see him emerge pulling his push-mowe,r the handles were about ready to fall off. anyhow we finish up and pull away to see his rig, a ford taurus with a trunk. LOL:p so were driving by real slow to see the kid mowing the lawn with what looked like to be his dad. they had cut two lawns on the block, (left huge clumps everywhere in these lawns). the main point is don't you love it when you can pull up to a large account with you professional equipment, knock it out in fiveteen, leave a perfect cut, collect the money and leave, all while the so called competition is still trying to push:cry: their junk through their lawns:D it makes me laugh:D

2. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

You have to remember that some of us come from very humble and simple beginnings. I used to walk around with no shirt on and a piece of s*** for a mower but I have since evolved.

3. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

i understand, sometimes i feel sorry for these guys, but thats only when i think there trying to put food on the table

4. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I doubt that is what they are making their living off of.

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

That's the way I started. JCPenny riding mower, 88 2 wheel drive S-10, single snowmobile trailer, no trimmer.

Now the school district I do, I pull up with 6 figures worth of equipment, including 2 Dodge Rams, trailers, 2 Ferris IS-4000, 43hp Kubota 4 wheel drive tractor, 15' Bush Hog Tri-Deck, the list can go on and on.

Took me 16 years to do it and alot of self-doubt and hard lessons learned, but starting out at 16, you see what these other guys have and it gives you something to strive at.

Now I'm 32 and I'm the guy that people ask how I got where I am. Makes you feel like you've actually accomplished something.

6. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

So you 2 think they are out their for their health or is it for yawls personal ammusement? I can't help but laugh at people like you. But hey I am sure yawl are above everyone else:rolleyes: I never knock anyone trying to make ends meet.
    By the way you say you left while they were still working. Did you follow up and go back by to see if they may have raked the clumps up? This is yet another example of why I don't come around this site much anymore.

7. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

It makes you want to over-exaderate things...to the "cool". Like when you go to the door, act all slick when you get payed, and as you're goin back out to the truck, look at the truck (or mowers) to check for scratches :p. Then as you leave, act as if you didnt notice the "beginners", and wave :D.

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

If I were to ever look at my mowers for scratches it would be at 3:00 AM so I dont look like a fool, and no one will see.

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeh no kidding. I could careless if my equipment is scratched, I use my equipment to make a living. I don't consider my mowers a shrine. I guess thats why i don't make a little box and list all my equipment in my sig line.

As far as the guys caring mowers in their trunks, most of us were one of them at one time. I never put my push mower in the back of a trunk but it was in the bed of pick-up.

10. I hear ya. But I stop feeling sorry when I realize they may be taking food off of mine. i.e. SCRUBS taking away potential customers. When the scrubs disappear and they want a quote from you they just about faint when you quote them a fair market price.:mad: