Dont you love " i know its been real hot and dry, but"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by General Grounds, Aug 7, 2005.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: got a call from a lady today "i know that its been real hot and dry but the lawn doent look good, its very brown and dry. i watered for 10 min. the other day but it doesnt look any better, maybe i have a fungus or something". gotta love customer, is it december yet? tony

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I see the opposite... "My lawn has brown all over, Iv'e been watering 7 days a week, should I turn it to water 2 times a day?" Um, NO. you have a fungus, just like everyone else. whatever you do do not go 2 times a day and for god's sake don't water anytime other than the morning!

3. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of my customers want the "golf course" look. Then I have to explain to them that I cut @ 3", where a golf course is around 1/4", they water at different times and more intervals, a lot more fert, and mowing is everyday. I then ask them how much money they have and when do they want me to start this new program??? They don't ask again.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

LMAO...I like that one :D

5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Feel free to use it, it has worked for me for a few years now.

6. rodfather

My favorite line is "Well, I am very sorry to hear you can't afford us at the moment" when they say your price is too high. Use that one on the husband when he's trying to get you to drop your price. Iit's like hitting him with a ball bat right behind the knees. They drop everytime.

The expressions you get are...well...priceless LOL

7. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Rodfather, I am going to use that from now on if you don't mind. I have been looking for a good comeback when they get huffy and act like I'm trying to rape them.

8. rodfather

By all means...I know of others here that use it with great success. It really puts them in their place fast.

9. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing like embarassing a potential customer. You're sure to get a call when their current service doesn't work out. :dizzy: You guys have some real great business ethics.

Chris

10. rodfather

Who said anything about embarassing them?

I normally use this line with the wise-azzes who want to degrade your service down to comparing you to the 10 year neighborhood kid who offered to cut the guy's grass. I just tell them I'm sorry to learn they can afford us is all. And I always make sure I chime in with "have a great day" too btw.