Door Hanger Critique

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Richard Martin, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I need to ask you a favor. Can you please critique the attached door hanger that I have composed? I am planning on starting up shortly and your advice would be greatly appreciated. The most important thing is to be honest with me. You will not hurt my feelings. Really. If you don't like it or you wouldn't call please tell me. Any advice on how I could improve it would be welcome.

doorhang1.JPG

2. thefed

thefed LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

mentioning your liabilty insurance, imho, opens you up to more liability from the crazies

3. Richard Martin

Well, on the advice of my wife I will be changing that line to "Insured By State Farm". State Farm is popular everywhere and I believe having that name there will help some. I want people to know that I am a reputable company. I would have just put licensed and insured but there are no licenses to get in this area.

4. booboy

booboy LawnSite Member

First of all, what does a lighthouse have to do with lawncare. Also, I would go with a real picture of a nice house / green lawn. If you can afford I would go with more color. It looks a little boring.

5. Richard Martin

booboy, sometimes regional historic landmarks can be incorporated as part of a company's image. That lighthouse is a drawing of the very famous Cape Hatteras lighthouse and is located on North Carolina's Outer Banks seashore. I thought about going with the standard green grass thing but everybody does that.

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

As an outsider and not knowing your area, I thought the same thing as Booboy about the lighthouse. But now that you explained it, I like it a lot. The correlation between the lighthouse location and your business name is GOOD, and people in your area will get it. I think it's unique, and is much better than the usual grass clippings etc....

What I am unsure about is the "over 7,000 lawns serviced." If I am understanding this correctly, you were from Maryland starting up in NC now?? and you want to show that you have serviced a lot of lawns? when I read the "over 7,000 lawns serviced", it portrays to me that you are this huge company with mega employees that is servicing 1,000's of lawns a week. I just don't like the 7,000 lawns serviced thing. And references available. why? How many people are going to actually check with someone in Maryland? I just think it is a waste of space.

I would increase the font size on "lawn mowing", "fertlizing" "overseeding" etc...
    Same with the phone number, I would increase the font of the number and stretch it out as far as you can up to the vertical white line. You want that number to pop out at them.

So now it seems that if the "over 7,000 lawns serviced", and "references available" are removed, you are left with some open space. What to fill it in with?
    What is going to be the "catch" that is going to make someone call YOU?
    I am a firm believer that a lot of this is luck, being at the right place at the right time when someone is in need of service... BUT, then there are others that will carefully select who they choose, and you want them to call you.

I can't tell you how many countless times i have heard, "thank you for returning my call, no one ever does." or when I answer the phone and someone acts surprised and says, "i wasn't expecting anyone to answer."

You want to be that person who is going to answer the phone and return those calls immediately. So tell them that.

Right underneath your phone number, leave a couple of spaces and put,
    "Tired of waiting for the other guy to return your calls? Wait no longer."
    (reword it anyway you like)

I like the simpleness of the doorhanger, I don't think it has to be this huge splashy thing to get customers to call you.

Just throwing out a few ideas for you.

7. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

No, I wouldn't call... I have my own lawnmower. :laugh:

IMO, you kept it simple... which is good. But there is a fine line between simple and boring. In the next 2 months, homeowners are going to receive TONS of post cards, door hangers, mailers, and a million 8.5X11 sheets of paper with "John Doe's Lawn service" in black on white paper. BLAH!!!

What's gonna make YOUR door hanger "POP OUT" above the rest and convince the reader it's worth reading?

1.) IMO again, my first thought was some kinda advertisment for 'charter fishing' ... or should I say... just "fishing". But maybe that was just me.
    2.) If you really believe that acknowleding "State Farm" is worth doing then add it in... but personally, I would just shorten it to Insured with State Farm. no need for the 1 million.
    3.) If the lighthouse is your logo, then stick with it. If it isn't, then I would try to come up with some kinda logo for your biz... and locate the logo at the top of the hanger.

ps... I noticed the 7,000 lawns serviced comment... with that said, I think you can afford to add a splash of color to the hanger.

8. Richard Martin

I am getting a lot of really good ideas from everybody and I appreciate it. The ladies who have replied have had a lot of suggestions and I wish the door hanger could be bigger to take advantage of them all!

Carolina Cuts, the lighthouse is my logo and I have the same exact one on my business cards and flyers.

I do like to keep things simple and to the point. It's a recipe that has worked well for me over the years and I hope it works on this ad campaign. I'll be redesigning the door hanger tomorrow after I get some more input. Stay tuned.

9. Richard Martin

So how does everybody like the text of this one? I can't change the formatting on this website so I will probably have them made locally.

doorhang2.jpg

10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I think it looks a lot better.
    One thing I'm wondering.. when I look at that phone number it looks odd to me since it is only 7 digits. Around here, we MUST use the area code, otherwise the call will not go thru. How are the area codes set up in your area, do you have to dial them? If you do, I would definitely add in the area code. Just throwing that out there, it might not even pertain to you.

Then once you get your phone number larger, i think that is going to make a big difference, and will be the finishing touch that you need. Oh and when you get it formatted, make sure everything is evenly spaced out, not too big of a gap at the top.. I'm sure you know what I mean. Main thing is, you want it to be pleasing to the eye.